Mirrors for MH reflectors???????Question

grumpygils

I don't think you can, but will ask anyway. Why can't you use mirrors for MH reflectors? Before I go out and drop the jack on three Lumenarc Diamond III's, I wanted to make sure I couldn't do it myself?
Any thoughts? I haven't been around this site for a while, but I bet SCSINet knows!
Mc
P.S. I hate they dropped the classifieds!

culp

Originally Posted by grumpygils
http:///forum/post/2863020
I don't think you can, but will ask anyway. Why can't you use mirrors for MH reflectors? Before I go out and drop the jack on three Lumenarc Diamond III's, I wanted to make sure I couldn't do it myself?
Any thoughts? I haven't been around this site for a while, but I bet SCSINet knows!
Mc
P.S. I hate they dropped the classifieds!

the heat from a metal halide bulb is probably to hot for the mirror to handle. not sure though. i don't know what temp a mirror and stand up to.

snakeblitz33

mirrors are fired up and made from molten silica and other stuff. There is a very shiny metal that is "glued" to the back of the mirror. It won't overheat.
The bad thing is that mirrors actually absorb light, and reflect very little of it. Your better going with the stuff that is made for metal halides. I would say paint the entire inside of your canopy with white paint is better then using mirrors.
If you need extensive knowledge of this, I suggest going to a few pot growing forums, they will tell yah'

snakeblitz33

Amazingly, I have learned a lot about freshwater planted tanks, metal halides, mercury vapor lights, wiring up ballasts and things from pot growing website. Every time I would look something up online I always found the answer to it on one of those websites.

scrombus2

Mirrors are made from regular float glass. The reflective coating on the back of the mirror is silver, applied as a solution, not "glued". Since the reflective surface is actually behind the glass, a lot of light is captured in the glass, leaking out the sides.There's also the absorptive qualities of the glass, which filter out certain wavelengths. The glass will absorb a lot of heat, most of which will be on a small area of the mirror,directly above the lamp. which will cause the pane to stress crack. Don't forget about the corrosive effect of saltwater on silver. Ever seen silver coins that have been in saltwater? They turn black.