Mixed Martial Arts... For Children? Unbelievable!

el guapo

Do you really think this is any different than them wrestling in a gym class or them sparing in a martial arts class ? Having studied tae kwon do in my pre teen,teen years many times I got a split lip or a black eye. I have seen many school wrestling matches end in broken bones. I have seen worse than that go down in a school yard or in a dirt field on the way home from school , and there sure wasn't adults there to stop it when it got out of control . What about football how many kids get hurt playing football a year ?
Besides they are not fighting with in the same rules system as UFC,WEC,CAGE RAGE,PFC. They are fighting a hybrid form of wrestling that allows open handed strikes, It's called Pancrase. Pancrase is based on Pankration which was part of ancient olympic games . These kids are not fighting anything close to VALE TUDO (anything goes) . Watch the video and you will see the coaches and referee signaling for points .
I guess they should just stay home and learn to knit ?

aquaknight

Seems fine to me? Perhaps proper research on pankration needs to be done? Most notably the amount of training all these kids, just like their adult counterparts, get before actually competiting. Also of note, punches and elbows to the head are illegal. If a bloody nose was all that happened to us kids in pee-wee football.... Or how well supervised the matches are. Notice in the second one, I think, how quickly the refs seperate the boys. And lastly, the sportsmenship. EVERY match, they touch gloves, and after usually high-five/hug. If only more sports had that level of class.
If there are some issues, the being forced by parent, might arise. Though on the ESPN 60 article, the kid was all for it...

el guapo

Originally Posted by reefreak29
http:///forum/post/2698489
whats wrong with knitting?

Just pointing out a hobby that involves no chance of getting hurt . Requiers very little skill and teachs absolultly no kind of sportsmanship. Maybe paper folding is more your speed ?
Seriously understand what your talking about before you call something barbaric .

reefreak29

EL GUAPO;2698494 said:
Just pointing out a hobby that involves no chance of getting hurt . Requiers very little skill and teachs absolultly no kind of sportsmanship. Maybe paper folding is more your speed ?
yes good ol'e paper folding
good stuff

nano reefer

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/2698483
Watch the video and you will see the coaches and referee signaling for points .
yes, but in some cases, the refs dont know and kids are being put at dangerous risk. meaning that kids are doing anything goes, but the ref's dont know. i couldnt find those clips on youtube, but they were on ESPN.

rylan1

This is out of control.... MMA'ers are fighters.... if they would like to pursue this they can box, wrestle, or learn karate.... all disiplines/sports will perpare you for MMA if you want to participate in your late teens or early 20's.

el guapo

Originally Posted by Rylan1
http:///forum/post/2698551
This is out of control.... MMA'ers are fighters.... if they would like to pursue this they can box, wrestle, or learn karate.... all disiplines/sports will perpare you for MMA if you want to participate in your late teens or early 20's.

Kids should be allowed to train for MMA just the same as they should be allowed to train for boxing , kick boxing, wrestling, karate , kung fu. Trying to say they are different things just shows your ignorance on the topic of MARTIAL ARTS .
Also it would not be MMA'ers. Would you call them mixed martial artisters ?

el guapo

Most of todays top MMA fighters have been fighting since they were little kids . Case in point Anderson Silva .

jmick

I started wrestling when I was 10 years old and was always shocked by how many kids would cry when they lost. I'm not sure if I would allow my child to train for MMA at a young age. I think giving them a solid back ground in wrestling, judo or something else would give them a solid base if that's something they'd wanna do when they get older.

nano reefer

Originally Posted by Jmick
http:///forum/post/2698570
I started wrestling when I was 10 years old and was always shocked by how many kids would cry when they lost. I'm not sure if I would allow my child to train for MMA at a young age. I think giving them a solid back ground in wrestling, judo or something else would give them a solid base if that's something they'd wanna do when they get older.
yes! thats exactly what you need. they showed an example of mixed martial arts where kids were taught the different styles of fighting, but never faught each other. theres no need to promote violence at such a young age.

110innc

I dont feel like looking at the videos but I know were going to a World Tae kwon do tourament saturday. There going to have the pro fighter adults beating each till they bleed but not with the youngens like my 9 & 6 year old brother. They do spar and fight but with padding and a real controled inviroment.

ruaround

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2698588
yes! thats exactly what you need. they showed an example of mixed martial arts where kids were taught the different styles of fighting, but never faught each other. theres no need to promote violence at such a young age.
there is violence in practically EVERYTHING!!! no need to cover the kids eyes and shelter them from the real world... cuz believe me... its not all honky dorey and roses!!! and besides its not called an "Art" for no reason...

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2698588
Misuse of terms. These kids aren't being taught violence, they're being taught discipline and sportsmanship. They aren't pitbulls who are tossed into a ring with a piece of steak. They are thoroughly
trained before any matches are even considered. Matches are well monitored and there are rules to prevent injury.

el guapo

Before we know it every table in the world will have coasters , And no roll of toilet paper will go uncovered .