Montipora Didgitata Help

altrocker

This coral is already gone completely "bleached" but I was wondering if anyone could tell me maybe what went wrong with it. Doesn't look like light bleaching since it started "bleaching" from the bottom. I had a suggestion of a nudibranch eating it, but carefully looked all over it and didn't see one, if anyone else has any suggestions please just shoot them at me, I'm starting a nano reef tank and don't want this happening again! Thanks in advance guys!

geoj

This coral is already gone completely "bleached" but I was wondering if anyone could tell me maybe what went wrong with it. Doesn't look like light bleaching since it started "bleaching" from the bottom. I had a suggestion of a nudibranch eating it, but carefully looked all over it and didn't see one, if anyone else has any suggestions please just shoot them at me, I'm starting a nano reef tank and don't want this happening again! Thanks in advance guys!
I think it is the nudibranch. The eggs are very small and so are the new nudibranches look like a small white dot that can crawl into the coral and out of sight. I have not had any luck killing them off so QT is very important.

E

eric b 125

i've had digi's bleach like that from the base up. for me it was lighting. i thought it was a nudibranch but couldnt see any. then i realized that a lot of the frags that got broken off the mother colony when i was cleaning and never bothered to pick off the sandbed, were actually doing better lower in the tank. so i placed all my digi's lower in the tank and they are all doing awesome.

altrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B 125 http:///t/389507/montipora-didgitata-help#post_3443581
i've had digi's bleach like that from the base up. for me it was lighting. i thought it was a nudibranch but couldnt see any. then i realized that a lot of the frags that got broken off the mother colony when i was cleaning and never bothered to pick off the sandbed, were actually doing better lower in the tank. so i placed all my digi's lower in the tank and they are all doing awesome.
Thanks! At least I know this is possible. Because it didn't seem as if it was being eaten, because it's soft parts were shedding off, not really disappearing.

E

eric b 125

that's exactly what would happen to mine. it would start sloughing where the tissue death was occurring.

altrocker

Well at least I won't be holding a magnifying glass looking like Sherlock Holmes trying to find something that isn't there!
Thanks again!

geoj

Well at least I won't be holding a magnifying glass looking like Sherlock Holmes trying to find something that isn't there!
Thanks again!
Holmes don't put the magnifying glass away...
You only have a hypothesis, until you see a nudi or move the coral and have it recover you know nothing. We would not want to fool are selves or others we talk to. You should follow this through and let everyone know how it works out...

E

eric b 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/389507/montipora-didgitata-help#post_3444206
Holmes don't put the magnifying glass away...
You only have a hypothesis, until you see a nudi or move the coral and have it recover you know nothing. We would not want to fool are selves or others we talk to. You should follow this through and let everyone know how it works out...
+1. I couldnt agree w/ GeoJ more. Nudi's and redbugs are nothing to mess with. Just a few of these things can decimate systems and cause long-term re-build woes for any hobbyist that naively turns their back on them. I would take an ich outbreak over these buggers any day.
GeoJ: looking at the picture, it appears that the tissue death started at one end and evenly worked its way up the stalks. If this were nudi's, wouldn't there be lines throughout the frag, because the nudi's don't work systematically from bottom to top? Wouldn't they just plow lines through the flesh? When I thought that my monti death was secondary to nudi's, this was one of the indicators that it wasnt. Here's a pic of a monti cap that i experienced this with. On the other side of the cap the tissue death began towards the middle of an unshaded layer and worked its way out.
this was taken on 3/15/2011

I spent a lot of time looking for unwanted hitchhikers but because I was so convinced that that was the problem that I didn't consider anything else and nearly lost the entire colony. I ended up snapping off all the viable parts and glued them to a rock and changed the positioning of the coral.
Here it is on 7/21/2011

And here it is as of 5 minutes ago.

This digi used to be three times the size it is here. Tissue death started at the base and I kept an eye out for hitch hikers (need to learn to QT
) I accidentally broke branches off a few times while cleaning the glass and let the pieces sit in the sandbed b/c I was too lazy to get them. I epoxied them to this rock and the coral looks better than ever. The color is more rich and overall the coral just looks healthier.

geoj

I have had a small frag with adult nudi's at the base look very much like the pic above. I am not one to discount any idea and in my case it may have started as nudi's and ended tissue regression. When it come to the shape of the line that is made it was a clean smooth line and I had the nudi's with no doubt. So I would say seeing is believing. In a small frag they can clean all the way around in one night and if not it may just look like an uneven wavy shape that complete surrounds the base. In a monti cap I have yet to see a strait track with uneaten tissue on either side, I have only seen areas that look like something had zigzag through leaving the hole area clean out. Of corce I have a limited experience and just because I have not seen what you have described as definitive nudi damage does not mean they don't create such damage.

altrocker

Well, it's beyond help anyway now, this pic was from a few months ago, never ended up saving it, but I was hoping to get some advice on it in case it ever happened again. My lfs suggested a freshwater dip saying that usually cured the hitchhikers so if that problem ever arises again I'll try that, as well as a QT
I'm really glad to hear you managed to save yours though Eric!