More calcium = more coral growth

blkhawk10

I was wondering is this would be considered a true statement? My calcium right now is at 400, so I was going to raise it up and hope to see some more coral growth. Am I opening Pandora's box by doing this and adverse side effects?

stanlalee

more calcium than 400ppm isn't going to do a thing. Elevated carbonates (10-12dKH opposed to 7-9ish) has been shown to potentially increase growth rates. Between calcium and carbonates almost ALL attention should be on carbonates (alkalinity) for coral growth and health. Calcium from 380-480 makes little to no difference and the rate of use is 3x slower than carbonates.

flower

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/3260007
more calcium than 400ppm isn't going to do a thing. Elevated carbonates (10-12dKH opposed to 7-9ish) has been shown to potentially increase growth rates. Between calcium and carbonates almost ALL attention should be on carbonates (alkalinity) for coral growth and health. Calcium from 380-480 makes little to no difference and the rate of use is 3x slower than carbonates.

I just wanted to add...Calcium must be between 380 and 480 for coral to grow.

nikesb

Originally Posted by IbanEz
http:///forum/post/3260169
Better lighting makes better coral growth, what is your lighting?
some fish poo with your calcium at 400-500 and dkh at 8-9 will help the corals grow a bit faster. as for lighting, 10k is supposed to be better growth, but a friend of mine has a much bluer kelvin than mine, and im already in the 20,000k look and he gets much better growth than me.

bang guy

Many hobbiests do not put enough emphasis on Alkalinity. All the calcium in the world isn't going to grow coral when Alkalinity is low.

blkhawk10

My lighting is a 150 watt radium 20k with a a 65 watt sunpaq 420 nm actinic. Last time I checked my water the alkalinity was 11.

ibanez

20k is not very good for coral growth, you should be down around the 10k for best growth, 20k looks good with colors and all, but you will not see good growth. I would recommend the phoenix 14k for good growth nice color.

mrdc

http:///forum/post/3260766
I would recommend the phoenix 14k for good growth nice color.
I can't comment on the growth provided by these bulbs since I have not been using them for too long but I can say that I really like the color.

nikesb

http:///forum/post/3260766
20k is not very good for coral growth, you should be down around the 10k for best growth, 20k looks good with colors and all, but you will not see good growth. I would recommend the phoenix 14k for good growth nice color.
actually, the radium is a crisper white than a pheonix 14k...everyones tank is different so some times people will get coloration and growth from a higher k

ibanez

I would say his isn't one of them since he seems to not get good growth with good levels of calcium and alk.

blkhawk10

NO it's not, I had a phoenix 14k before my radium and had a lot better growth. I just wanted to try the radium and see what the fuss was about, but the colors a little too blue and the growth isn't all that.

nikesb

really? i used to have a 55g and had a radium on one side and pheonix on the other and you could tell the pheonix was bluer on the sand. its also what everyone else experiences. it also depends on what ballast youre using. the correct ballast for radiums give them the crisp white.

ibanez

It seems to me the 20k is for people selling corals trying to get that pop for good selling pictures. I wish they would just take pictures with a normal growth spectrum bulb so we could buy something that will look the way it does in the picture, in our tank.

bang guy

http:///forum/post/3261445
It seems to me the 20k is for people selling corals trying to get that pop for good selling pictures. I wish they would just take pictures with a normal growth spectrum bulb so we could buy something that will look the way it does in the picture, in our tank.
Amen

stanlalee

taking a picture under 10k would look NOTHING like it does in my tank ( I know I have 10k and dont use them, growth wasn't so superior for me to live with them over 20k). there are 1000's of others who use almost exclusively 20k bulbs (or bulbs labelled 14/15k that are really 20k). I would even go as far as to say at least in america those using 20k out number those using 10k 3:1. even those using supplemental lighting so I dont get that statement at all. phoenix and radiums are some of the most popular halide bulbs.
20k grow corals just fine (even low par 150w 20k with the appropriate size tank depth) and most people who say they dont havent used them. I've used everything from Reeflux 10k to ushio 20k (aquamaxx 15k ect) on my same tank with same corals. whatever lack of growth that comes with using 20k is FAR out weighed by the better look, hence my reeflux 10k bulbs are collecting dust in a box where they will remain forever. how did we get on lighting anyway

there are way more variable than kelvin ratings (which mean nothing anyway. ex aquamaxx 15k and phoenix 14k are 20k bulbs. sanjay has spectral test both and his equipment is able to read to at least 16k and can not get a K reading on either of these bulbs because they average too high a kelvin, ushio 14k specs as a 10k according to sanjay spectrum test on most ballast). there are things that effect growth just as much as bulb selection (water clarity, food, phosphate levels, light cycle, bulb placement, reflectors which are 10x more important to PAR than bulb selection, corals saturation point which many encrusting monti's for example peak at 200 or less which any bulb can do, stability, could go on and on). if all those other variable are in line 20k bulbs will grow corals acceptably fast for almost anybody.
I cant post the article but it clearly showed THIS coral preferred the 20k's spectrum and all the article concluded was the bulbs with the most red grew THIS coral the least and the less red spectrum the bulb had the better it grew THIS coral. I dont proclaim this to be typical but it is what it is. (the 10k and 20k are both ushio/blv so it aint the quality of bulb either)

I mean really, I'm not saying that corals wont generally grow faster with lower kelvin bulbs but to say 20k dont grow corals (including sps) or grow corals slowly is just plain nonsense and there are literally 1000's of examples of hobbiest who have used them from start to finish with excellent growth to the point where I dont even see why those who havent used them would believe they are only good for looks and photo taking. If you cant grow corals adequately with 20k bulbs you arent doing something else right.