more than one wrasse?

Nursemom76

Can someone tell me if you can keep more than one wrasse in a tank?? Mine is 75 gallon and has one six line in it. I think wrasses are so colorful and there's so many, but seems many species can only be one per tank. Anyone have experience with keeping multiples??

jay0705

Fairy wrasse can be kept in groups. 1 male to a few females. But six lines are usually kept single

Nursemom76

I'm wondering if I can add another wrasse with a six line already in the tank. Will it be aggressive toward another wrasse?

jay0705

Generally, yes. 6 lines are usually 50/50 it seems. Some dont bother a thing, others go nuts when they mature. I have a small 6line now, he doesn't bother a thing. Yet lol

aduvall

6lines tend to be aggressive towards everything though eh?

If I had I pick I'd put in two others and get rid of the 6...

(However with the issues you had with your tank maybe keep the 6 since he's working out!)

Last edited:

jay0705

Depends on age. Some are docile as adults, honestly it seems like its 50/50. Mine is so far too

Nursemom76

my six line is peaceful. likes to swim in and out of the rocks, doesn't bother the other fish. Hasn't bothered the new addition. Had a three stripe I had to remove as it became quite aggressive and territorial, the one that's left is peaceful and gets along with everyone.
I've been looking at other wrasses, still undecided what I want, and was curious if anyone had any experience with different ones in the same tank.

Nursemom76

I'm sure it will be just trial and error. I may steer clear of another wrasse until my six line is gone, who knows. For now, I have my cowfish to fuss over hoping it survives. May get another blenny later.
Thanks for all the advice from everyone!

trigger40

i was able to keep one for about 5 months untill it was eaten but the cleaner wrasse grew an inch in the time i had it, i wouldnt call that malnourished. it was very plump too.

Nursemom76

I was leaning toward a fairy wrasse. I've seen cleaner wrasses but keep reading they're not easy to keep. I'll probably wait to try a wrasse for now. There's a good mix in my tank right now, all get along and no bullies. Have had poor luck with firefish and dottybacks. Maybe a blenny or goby