Most of my corals seem happy, but

C

calvertbill

The rock covered with GSPs has been 99% closed for business for the last 3-4 days. Usually they open up shortly after the MHs go on in the AM.
The only thing I can think of which is different would be the addition of an additional PH about a week ago. The flow isn't aimed at the GSP, but the brunt of it's 2600 GPS flows past it (2-3" away). Could the GSP be closed for too much flow?

krazekajin

when you find out the answer let me know. i have always had a huge colony of GSP. They have grown great for almost three years. Then all of the sudden, they have decided to go south and even bleach. all other corals are great. SPS, zoos, mushrooms, xenia. I have done waterchanges, adjusted flow and nothing. Someone told me that GSP can go through cycles where they die off and come back better than ever. I do not know if that is true, but it is food for thought.

big

This seems to happen with a post here every month or so. Unless there are other issues with the tank, GSP do this time to time. I have one area of the like that for the last 4-5 days... Sometimes more flow will open them, but MOST of the time there is no need to worry. Too much flow????? I do not know , but one are of mine is getting blasted with flow with no adverve effects .This is something they just seem to do time to time...... Warren

big

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
how long have you seen it last. Mine has been for over a month now, with a slow decline of polyps.

A few weeks is the most I think I can remember for mine. If yours have been close nearly a month maybe frag them and move their location some?? Just a thought. Here are shots of mine today. One group closed for the last 4 or 5 days. Second shot open under heavy flow that was closed all last week, and a frag I took off the currently closed bunch (while closed) two days ago and placed in another area of the tank. This little frag opened today, two days after moving. Good Luck . ........Maybe someone else will have more suggestions on this issue...... Warren

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by big
This little frag opened today, two days after moving. Good Luck . ........Maybe someone else will have more suggestions on this issue...... Warren
Howdjadothat? Did you glue that little piece of rubble to a new rock after chipping it off the old?

big

Originally Posted by Calvertbill
Howdjadothat? Did you glue that little piece of rubble to a new rock after chipping it off the old?

No I just tore a small piece of the GSP "mat" off . Then I just super glue gelled it in place at the new location. The pinkish part you can see in the new location shot is the GSP mat. Notice the size, (about 3/8 in.)that is a very small piece, but they do spread quickly

C

calvertbill

Hey! You guys were all right! Today's day 6 and they opened this AM.
I'm happy!!

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by Calvertbill
Hey! You guys were all right! Today's day 6 and they opened this AM.
I'm happy!!
Not only did they open, but I think they're thicker than ever. Maybe it was regrouping.