Moving live rock to treat for ick

wpd128

I think ick may be making an apperance again in my tank. I have a 10 gal. qt tank. Could I move my live rock to that and keep the fish in my 72 gal tank and treat with hypo in my display tank? I do have live sand and a couple of crabs. Could I move the crabs too? I just hate the thought of putting my yellow tang, 2 clown fish and bicolor blenny in a small 10 gal tank.
Thanks.

moneyman

how much LR do you have? I cant imagin all your LR fitting a 10 gal QT tank. Or, will you put LR in a large container? I say put your fish in a large container and leave your LR/LS/crab alone. Large plastic storage container is under $10.

jacklax

I'm going through the same thing. Beth recommended that I keep my base rock in, and just move the live rock out to another container. That way the fish will still have some cover. Make sure not to use any chemicals...just hypo.

A

anthonynyc

Originally Posted by wpd128
I think ick may be making an apperance again in my tank. I have a 10 gal. qt tank. Could I move my live rock to that and keep the fish in my 72 gal tank and treat with hypo in my display tank? I do have live sand and a couple of crabs. Could I move the crabs too? I just hate the thought of putting my yellow tang, 2 clown fish and bicolor blenny in a small 10 gal tank.
Thanks.
I have the exact same setup. A 72 gallon tank and a 10gallon QT.
I would advise leaving the fishes alone in the 72 gallon tank and move the rock and crabs to the 10gallon.
I moved all my snails and crabs and my cleaner shrimp to the 10gallon tank. I used water from the 72 gallon to fill up the 10gallon tank. I think it would be more stressful for the fishes in the 10gallon.
I did not lose a fish after tanking Beths advice with hypo. I did not use any chemicals or copper treatments or fresh water dips. I just dropped the salinity down to 1.009 over the course of 2 days.
Good luck.
Anthony

dennycrane

I usually treat Ick (and other parasites) with cleaner wrasse or cleaner shrimp. Ick is like tiny white cupcakes to them. And who doesn't like cupcakes?

jacklax

Becareful just using the Wrasse and Shrimp...I just lost a Butterfly to Ich...it was in his gills, and a cleaner couldn't fit in there to get it.

bailey52

also... Ich does need a host to survive, but I dont believe cleaner shrimp or a wrasse will do all of the job. The ich will still be in the water and on the Lr possibly

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can move the LR and any inverts you have, including the crabs. They will be perfectly fine in a large square rubbermaid, or something similiar. Remember to feed the rock while its displaced.

clarki

there is one ick medicine that is safe for reef tanks (well the only one I know of anyway)
I'm treating mine right now as a matter of fact. I did just add a cleaner shrip yesterday and today the naso (who had the ick) has been standing for over an hour letting the shrimp eat the parasites off him...so he does help!! I've also been told to feed them garlic as a preventative...
I'm still treating with the medicine as well though just to be sure we got it all.... It's called NO-ICH by Marine Aquaria. It's safe for inverts and corals... I used it one other time on my smaller tank with a purple tang... cleared him up in about a week... you do have to shut off the protein skimmer and remove charcoal while treating.... but no ill effects to the reef tank at all....

tangie

What inverts do you have in your treated tanks?
HAS ANYONE ELSE USED NO-ICH with sucess?
Sounds like if it works and is safe for the reef and inverts then everyone should keep a bottle on hand and how much easier it would be to use then to catch and move sick fish.
I am sceptical so the more people we hear from the better.
Any comment BETH?
Thanks all