Moving...

saywuh17

I have a 12g nanocube that i want to bring to college with me. My college is two hours away from my house and i'm wondering if anyone has some great moving tips for me. Here is what i think i'm going to do (feel free to add suggestions to it)...
I am going to bag up all of my corals and inverts (put them in a cooler), and then i will drain, but keep, half of the water in my tank. I'm going to keep the life rock and sand in there and just cover the live rock that is out of water with moist paper towel. I'm then going to put the whole nanocube in a box with styrofoam around it and a wood board underneath and then i'm going to wheel it on one of those box carriers.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

flower

Originally Posted by SayWuh17
http:///forum/post/3090500
I have a 12g nanocube that i want to bring to college with me. My college is two hours away from my house and i'm wondering if anyone has some great moving tips for me. Here is what i think i'm going to do (feel free to add suggestions to it)...
I am going to bag up all of my corals and inverts (put them in a cooler), and then i will drain, but keep, half of the water in my tank. I'm going to keep the life rock and sand in there and just cover the live rock that is out of water with moist paper towel. I'm then going to put the whole nanocube in a box with styrofoam around it and a wood board underneath and then i'm going to wheel it on one of those box carriers.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

No matter the tank size do not move it with water in it. Move it empty. Put your tank water in 5g jugs to take with you. Keeping the rocks moist with newspaper is perfect and the baggies will work great in a cooler.

flower

Originally Posted by SayWuh17
http:///forum/post/3090506
Thanks! can i ask why newspaper instead of paper towel? what's the difference? lol

Paper towels dry out faster and stick to the rock, Newspaper holds more water and won't break down and stick, it will peel right off. Most liverock is shipped in newspaper.

mdmacolyte

Newspaper is less likely to get stuck in the nooks and crannies of your live rock ;)
When I downgraded my 90 to a 30 and moved it 30 miles away, I used a rubbermaid container and put all of my live rock I was keeping in it and put my live sand in a separate rubbermaid container. I had a small cooler I put my fish in that fit inside a trash bag to keep leaking and spillage from getting all over the seat and floor boards in the car.
Just make sure your tank is the last thing you take down and the first thing you put up when you get there and you should be fine. ;)