Mushrooms splitting?

honu808

Hi everyone. I started my reef some time back. I bought two established mushroom colonies and have had them several weeks. They look amazing and seem to be doing well. I noticed today that one mushroom was stretched out leaving his perch and let loose totally. The other colony is on the other side of the tank and atleast 2 of the shrooms on that rock look to be doing the same. I hope you can see in the pics. These were not glued on fyi.
My water tests perfect and everything else is doing well as well. Any ideas let me know.
On a different note, I had a large feather duster spawn the other day too. Spewed several milky/cloudy squirts into the tank.

My pics are to large to upload. :(

candaceswf

Administrator
I'm having issues with photos too, try to copy and paste the picture rather than uploading, that worked for me... I let them know that we're having these issues, so it should be resolved soon.

flower

Hi,

Maybe that one spot has too much water flow, mushrooms like it very calm. Just to toss it out there, two weeks does not make an "established colony", it's just the wording...most of our corals come from an established colony but it isn't established yet in our tanks. A week or two is just about the right time to find out if a coral is happy or not in the place you out them. Mushrooms don't travel like xenia does, they usually spread growing more and more of them on the rock and everything around them.

honu808

Thats true flower. I meant by established, bought as full colony not a glued up specimen.
I will move the rock and see if it looks better in less flow area. Thanks

flower

Thats true flower. I meant by established, bought as full colony not a glued up specimen.
I will move the rock and see if it looks better in less flow area. Thanks
Hi,

I never heard of anyone "gluing " a soft coral to a rock. I suppose folks do all kinds of things to those poor critters just to see if it can be done. At any rate, a gentler water flow should salve the problem. Keep us informed, and work on getting those pictures up.