My Coral's bigger than Your Coral!

agent707

Well... OK. It's dead Coral. But I wanted to show it. It's something I got while Diving about 20 years ago. Yes, it was 95% dead when I found it. It was in a sand bed in about 40 feet of water on Okinawa.
I saw it and was like "WOW!" I stuck my hands in the sand and lifted it.. and it came right out! I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. I didn't want it to end up being a pile of crushed coral (and it would have been eventually), so I rescued it and gave it a nice permanant resting place.
I removed my tank and BCD jacket and strapped it to it and air lifted it to the surface and swam it in. Took me like 45 minutes to get it in from just a few hundred feet out off the shore. I had to give my buddy my weight belt (wasn't much, like 10 lbs... you dive light in tropic water).
Anyway, I crated it up and hauled it back to the states with me and have kept it on display in various dens. So I thought I'd share a pic of it as it sits now.
Anyone have any idea what kind it is/was?

agent707

Oh yes. The reefs on Okinawa were AMAZING! I saw so much live stuff it was very beautiful. But never a piece of dead stuff so in tact like this one.
Too bad I wasn't into underwater photography back then... It was way out of my budget at the time. I spent all my money on stereo equipment in those days. I was much younger then and didn't have as much of an appreciation as I do now.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm from the Keys and they sell this kind of stuff all the time down there in Coral shops....I'm always horrified to think that they were harvested LIVE. That along with puffer carcases, shark jaws, millions of snails, starfish, stone inverts, fans, etc, etc.
Glad to hear that you did not kill yours to get it. Nice.

spartan78

Originally Posted by Beth
I'm from the Keys and they sell this kind of stuff all the time down there in Coral shops....I'm always horrified to think that they were harvested LIVE. That along with puffer carcases, shark jaws, millions of snails, starfish, stone inverts, fans, etc, etc.
Glad to hear that you did not kill yours to get it. Nice.
I also hate how they sell dried up sea horses. That's a sweet piece of coral, it would be awsome if it were alive and in a display!