My First 35 Gallon SW Tank Pic's

turbohaulic

This is my very first salt water tank I've done. I started it on November 1st. So take a look and tell me what you think. I'm very open to suggestions and comments about my new tank. Hope you like, Thanks!

turbohaulic

Thought I'd add what I have.
Fish:
Hippo Tang
Clown (don't know what breed)
Lawn Mower Blenny
Bangaii Cardinal
Inverts:
Lots of Snails
50 Misc. Crabs
Sand Sifting Star
2 Cleaner shrimp
Brown and White Tube Worm
Lots of Copods/Ampepods
Coral:
Torch Coral
4 Metallic Green Mushrooms
Xenia
Green Star Polyps
The light I have is an SPS 175 Watt metal halide light with a 14K bulb. I might have missed some stuff, if I think of anything I'll post later.

bjoe23

Ya, i think a hippo tang is too big for a 35 gallon tank.
And that is a percula clown, i think it is false by the pic

That sand sifting star will not survive long term in your tank, it will eat all of the micro fauna in the sand bed. And the "tang police" are going to get you. That thing is going to get way to big. Are you going to get more bangii cardinals? They are a social specis.
Sorry for all the criticizem, but other that, your tank looks beautiful. Keep up the good work! I also have a 35 gal. reef, and when mine was that old, it defently did not look that good.

bjoe23

Ya at first you will get a lot of critisizum (spelling?) because we want everything to go good in your tank. Once you fix the minor problems than you will get nothing but compliments
because it is a very nice tank!

peef

Looks great, do you have the center peice of LR planted down with epoxy or something. If it somehow tipped over you could have a disaster.

turbohaulic

Thanks for all the suggestions. I knew the hippo would get to big, my dad has a bigger tank that he will go in when he gets a little bigger. I did not know the cardinals were grouping fish I'll have to get more. The fish store I bought my sand sifting star told me it would be fine, but you know how they are. So what should I do for the star fish? Is there something I can add for it to survive? Can I epoxy the rock while in the tank and what kind do you use? I understood I would get some criticism, but thats why I posted so I could get comments on what to do better. Thanks for the responses!

newtoit

your tank looks great and as I am new to the hobby I will not say anything other then before adding anything do the research first a buddy of mine told me something that stuck with me and is the basis I use when I go get stuff he said to me and I quote " if you have to ask how to care for it you likely can't keep it so I always research now

dlauber

I think your tank looks great, I love your rockwork
Can yellow tangs be kept in 35Gs? If so I think it would make an awesome substitute for the hippo, both of those are my favorite fish.
Percula clown coming in a very close 3rd place.'
nvm I just looked it up, 75+ for yellow tangs

turbohaulic

Thanks for the complements. I did research a lot on most things, I admite a few things were spur of the moment. The only reason I do things like tang is that my dad has a 125 gal, and lives a few minutes away. So when they get to big we'll put them in there. I would like to get a flame or potters angel to keep, does anyone know if they can be kept in a 35 gallon? Thanks

reef_dart21

GREAT TANK but remove the tang trust my i had a yellow tang and i guess my 55 was to small and it started killing all my fish so just a word of warning to you.
it really upsets you when you lose all your great fish like that

mosalt

i have had my tank for 6 years & always have a yellow tang. however, my current "ting, tang, walla, walla, bing bang is the 3rd! like you said- move him if he gets too big. mine have never been aggresive, he had a niger trigger that he loved until i lost him. your tank is awesome. good luck

turbohaulic

Thanks everyone. I'm looking into getting some more coral when I get some extra clams (money). I'll post more pics when I get them. Any suggestions on what to get?

turbohaulic

Good news. I found a new home for the Tang, he will be going to a 100 gallon tank. i will be sad to see him go,
but it will be a better tank for him to be in.

bjoe23

Originally Posted by turbohaulic
Good news. I found a new home for the Tang, he will be going to a 100 gallon tank. i will be sad to see him go,
but it will be a better tank for him to be in.
its sad but you did the irght thing. Plus look on the bright side, you get to get another fsih!

paintballer768

Congrats! I think those are the non photosynthetic species. When you get them, I would check the tips for necrosis (symptoms could be described from someone who knows more than me) and remember, its non photosynthetic, so it requires daily or every 2 days phytoplankton when the polyps are extended.
If you feed it daily or 3-4 times a week, you will have yourself a happy and beautiful gorgonian. Post pics when you get them if you can!