My New Giant

F

fishlovr

Just thought I'd share a pic of my new giant Commerson's Frogfish:) Just got him this afternoon and I really like him. He's only 5 1/2 inches long right now, but will eventually be about a foot long! His name is "Bubba."
fishlovr

gdamador

That's a cool color! Black with white specks... what do you feed them? And how is their behavior, do they swim around or kinda "walk" with those leglike appendages?

F

fishlovr

I've only had Bubba for a few hours but he did eat 2 small frozen thawed silversides.....my other painted frogfish would eat anything on the end of a feeding stick (krill, squid, silversides). Hopefully Bubba will too, in time. They do walk around on their little legs using their arms to steady themselves once they find a proper perch from which to stalk their prey. They also "helicopter" around in the tank using their jet propelled elbows for propulsion. Really quite fascinating creatures!
fishlovr

jugger

frogfish are so cool...congrads.....i dont know much about these guys....from what it sonds like their easy to keep???? what size of tank do they require??? what other agressive fish are they ok with??? and last....are they easy to find and purchase on the internet???

F

fishlovr

Thanks for the well-wishes guys:) When I woke up this morning he was sitting on the rockwork and leaning against the back glass. I have a black background so all I could see was a bunch of white specs!
As for aquarium size, the little warty or painted frogfishes can do well in a 10 to 20 gallon tank. They only get about 4 inches long. They don't move around too much so a larger tank is not really necessary. Dudley my red painted frogfish was doing great until I introduced an arc-eye hawkfish as a tankmate. Never dreamed he would be able to eat a fish as big as he was, but he did:( Lost him because of it........Bubba will get to be the size of a football and will outgrow the 29 gallon he's in fairly fast. He will go into my 75 gallon reef with no other tankmates probably sometime next year. They are sometimes available online......the Marine Center usually has them. I think you are better off to have your LFS order one in for you so as to see what you are buying before you bring it home. They are a medium maintainace fish.....sometimes they only eat live food when you first get them and it is a must as far as I'm concerned to get them over to thawed frozen. Too much of a chance for them to be infected by parasites if you have to use live feeder fish......as for tankmates.......don't do it! If you are seriously interested in acquiring a frogfish, buy/borrow a copy of Scot Michael's "Reef Fishes," Volume 1 and read the section on Frogfishes......It's quite informative! HTH
Fishlovr

leopard_babe

I just asked a ? about the frogfish. this answered my ?
Do you have anything else in your tank? I was considering a painted frogfish. I have been trying to research them, but the information is hard to find. I will look at that book you are talking about. There is also a puffer in my tank. Maybe not a good idea.
thanks,
leopard

new_noob

are those little babys hard to take care of? i have always been interested in them, i would like to get one of them but i also want a school of Firefish Gobys and that might be a bad mix, any sugestions?

F

fishlovr

Thanks for the well-wishes, Asbury:) Noob.......only get a frogfish if you can have a tank just for it.......NO TANKMATES! I just lost a frog because he ate his too big tankmate. They are not hard to care for once you get them eating prepared foods.......live is okay, but inconvenient and a risk to their health. It's always possible to bring in an unwanted parasite on a live meal. If you must feed live, quarantine it first! HTH
Janey

B

bg420

I've had my frog fish for a couple of weeks and all he will
eat is gold fish? Have tried shrimp and silversides with
no luck. any suggestions on what else to try:confused: I really
hate feeding goldfish, because of parasites and my lions always
end up with them(they know all about the feeding stick).