My own newbie thread

iidylii

Ok so my question is...if my goby is in a qt with a bare bottom, how do I feed it fauna?

Also is there a way to supplement that into the display tank so he doesn't run out or can I assume this is food that developes over time from an established tank?

flower

Ok so my question is...if my goby is in a qt with a bare bottom, how do I feed it fauna?

Also is there a way to supplement that into the display tank so he doesn't run out or can I assume this is food that developes over time from an established tank?
To be perfectly honest...I never quarantined my Sand sifters, because I knew they couldn't eat in a bare bottomed tank. They have to sift sand and feed on the fauna in it...that's all they eat. Like I said, when frozen Mysis dropped to the bottom, the sand sifter ate it, and learned that it was food...That fish died, I don't remember how now...it's been some years ago, I replaced it, and that sand sifter starved when it depleted the fauna in the tank. When I went to keeping seahorses, I gave away the diamond sand sifting goby I had, to somebody on this site...That was the last one I ever kept.

Last edited:

jay0705

I have no experience w diamonds. I have a hectors, golden sleeper headed, and a yellow watchman goby. All sift sand but all also eat frozen.

iidylii

flower...that was kind of my point...if they only eat fauna and yet you have to have an established sand bed to have fauna and yet it is recommended to have a bare bottom for QT how is this going to work lmao!:confused:

anyways I too put the little guy in the display tank so I hope all goes well...I will be buying some batches of pods to put in my fuge as I have been reading that pods will help a little for the 2 spots eating...

and as you guys have also said...when I had my sleeper golden head in my last tank he ate absolutely everything lol

flower

flower...that was kind of my point...if they only eat fauna and yet you have to have an established sand bed to have fauna and yet it is recommended to have a bare bottom for QT how is this going to work lmao!:confused:

anyways I too put the little guy in the display tank so I hope all goes well...I will be buying some batches of pods to put in my fuge as I have been reading that pods will help a little for the 2 spots eating...

and as you guys have also said...when I had my sleeper golden head in my last tank he ate absolutely everything lol
Hi,

Putting the goby right into the display with a prayer...is what I did too. Some of the sifters figure out to eat other foods, but we just can't count on it...and it takes time to get them to do it. Time they don't have because of the very make of their bodies, they have to sift the sand to eat, that's what's natural... mine learned to feed on frozen when it sifted up the food on the sand. Putting food on the bare bottom of the tank isn't going to teach them to eat it.

iidylii

Hand fed my long spine and he seems to like it :~} my short spine is also enjoying his own wafer as well lol...but my pencil has made his way under some rocks in the sand so all I could do was set one on top of him...if he doesn't come out in a couple days I guess he will be forced to come sit at the dinner table out from under the rocks ;)

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

pegasus

Hand fed my long spine and he seems to like it :~} my short spine is also enjoying his own wafer as well lol...but my pencil has made his way under some rocks in the sand so all I could do was set one on top of him...if he doesn't come out in a couple days I guess he will be forced to come sit at the dinner table out from under the rocks ;)

View attachment 1342 View attachment 1343
If you ever get an urge to eat long spine urchin gonads, you're good to go! LOL!!! Sorry, it's the first thing I think of every time I see long spine urchins... :oops:

iidylii

Try the seaweed strips. My urchin is cleans up what my tangs don't get off the rubber band
I will be grabbing some seaweed strips tmrw...so if I put them on a clip the urchins will find them? Maybe I should get a few different clips?

If you ever get an urge to eat long spine urchin gonads, you're good to go! LOL!!! Sorry, it's the first thing I think of every time I see long spine urchins... :oops:
somehow I don't think that urge will ever come around lmao...but ill keep that in mind

and today I went crazy on buying a nice variety of food for the tank so maybe my goby will find something he likes...I grabbed some frozen Mysis, brine shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, blood worms, pellets, krill and tmrw I will grab some seaweed and clips...my LFS does not carry any sort of pods so this weekend I am going to visit my brother in the big city which will have some pods I hope and when I get back I will be completing my sump which means I will have a nice refugium of pods which should hopefully help the goby out

and my pajamas are still doing great in the QT

also...while I am finishing my sump I will have to empty it to silicone some chambers...I will obviously have the display tank isolated but I was just wondering will my critters and my goby in my display be ok for a week without circulating water from the sump as long as I have a powerhead going?

pegasus

I hope you'll be able to find pods in the big city. I usually order mine online, as there's no place close that sells them in this area. It's kind of like Mayberry, RFD around here... lol! I have purchased 1000's of amphipod/copepod mixes from R2G when they have a 50% off, or a BOGO sale. I have a good population going now, so the only pods I've bought lately were AlgaGen Tisbe pods, as these are the main diet of my green Madarin.

Your critters will be fine without the sump. Just think of it as a smaller tank with a sump... lol! Most people don't have a sump or refugium attached to their quarantine tanks, yet they keep fish in them for weeks before introducing them to the display. There's no need to worry... they'll be fine. As the water volume will be a little less than normal, keep a check on water parameters as water nasties up faster in lower volume... ;)

iidylii

so I bought a bunch of different frozen foods from my LFS and I am putting all of it into a big Tupperware bowl to combine it...will it keep if you just were to put a lid on it and keep it in a fridge? or will it go bad over time? otherwise I guess I will just have to buy a small ice cube tray and refreeze them :confused:

bang guy

Buy a small ice cube tray and freeze it. Adsd some RO water to it and put one feedings worth of food in each ice cube.

flower

Why buy a bunch of frozen foods from the fish store, to mix it up and refreeze it...isn't refreezing stuff unhealthy? JMO... Once it was frozen you should have just put it in the freezer, and fed the frozen a bit after you thaw and rinse it. If you want your fish to have a variety of foods...buy fresh saltwater food...shrimp, clams and such...cut it up by hand, or put it in a food chopper...then freeze it in saltwater in an ice tray. You can make a ton of fish food that way.

iidylii

I have thought about doing that flower....I think its gonna be stinky but I might give it a shot lol...

my sump Is now siliconed with chambers and I must now wait a week or so to start it back up...always something to do haha...

iidylii

Ok so Im trying to utilize pieces of material I have at home for my sump chamber walls...so I have a bunch of 1/8" thick pieces and I heard 1/4" is the way to go...could I just jb weld or super glue gel them together to get 1/4" sheets....I tried using the 1/8" sheets singly but they need to be 2' long so the flexiness in the plexi caused the silicone bond to break on the sump tank...and I guess when I get to that step I will see how well plexi bonds with acrylic using silicone :confused: