My puffer died

fowlr13

Last night,my porcupine puffer died from unknown reasons.I gently held him in my hand until he finally died.There was no sign of sickness,but he wasn't eating when It came around feeding time.And even more worrying is that my trigger isn't eating either,and may have the same fate unfortunately.And my lionfish is acting completely normal,he had just eaten an whole crayfish.So tonight I will have to test the water and see if everything is ok.And hopefully replace the puffer and unfortunately the trigger too.

flower

Hi,

Sorry for your loss...two fish lost, I wouldn't replace them until I found out what killed them and fixed it. Do your water tests, and be concerned with the food as well.

Just a note...fish are not like dogs and cats, it gives a sick dying fish no comfort to be held as it died, actually it may have terrorized it until the end. A kind death is to leave the fish alone to hide away and pass ... some people euthanize them to stop the suffering.

fowlr13

My trigger didn't die actually.But he's not eating,the same as the puffer.I did euthanize him though,but it wasn't with chemicals(the expensive/easy way).I just took a knife and put it through its skull.Not the most "peaceful" or painless death.But I didn't want to make him suffer floting on the surface fully conscious or poison my tank.

zoidberg01

Try changing the food a lot of people say that they will eat basically anything but that is not true especially when they are juvenile my baby porcupine puffer only eats hermits so I have to go to the beach and get some, in my experience my trigger and puffer never ate omega one maybe it's just the food