my temp is 87* Degrees

logan15

my lights are power compacts and i believe they are what is rising my tank temp how can i lower it would a fan help me?

S

sebae0

yes a fan would help, actually 2 would be better. one blowing in and the other blowing out. also are you positive its the lights only? make sure your heater is working accurately. if its a penn plax hang on the top heater i would be suspect of it. get a good submersible heater like ebo jaeger or i also hear pro wan is good.

q

I would get 2 4 inch fans. That should take care of the problem. Until then you need to make sure that the temp comes down a couple of degrees. Buy a cheep fan from wal-mart to move some air inside the canopy until you can get the 4 inch fans installed.
BTW how far off the water are the bulbs and just to make sure do you have a glass cover over the tank as well.

nerdy

I had almost the same problem and I just got rid of my heater!
Now the temp stays virtually the same all the time

saltynewbie

a little experience i have had with fans.... make sure they are blowing dry air into the canopy and not salty air out of the canopy.. they salty air wears out a fan QUICK!!! HTH..

mdhyde

If the PC's are causing the rise as they do in my tanks, here is my "poor man's" chiller unit.
Go buy bottled water in plastic bottles. Pick a size that will fit in your filter or that can be floated in the tank.
then freeze the bottles and float them in the tank or place in filter. In the summer a few per day worked well and kept temp under 80 degrees even though we have 100+ days here.
The water stays in the bottle and does not alter the salinity. Works great! :p