My temp is HIGH!

snakeblitz33

Yikes...
I just installed a controller on my aquarium.
Calibrated the pH meter.... check.
Put pH meter securely in the sump.
Let sit to get accurate pH reading.
pH checked out... 8.15.
Read directions
Installed temp probe.
Refreshed temp probe as directed.
Waited 30 minutes for very accurate reading...
looked and......................
89.6F!!!!!

No wonder my Orange Montipora died at the beginning of the Summer.
So, what am I going to do about it? Well....
1. Saving small 20oz water bottles and freezing them. Going to stick three or four in the sump before I go to work/school. Then going to switch it back out when I get home for the night. Keep rotating them.
2. Add a small fan to the system to increase evaporation.
Any other ideas?

bang guy

Your #2 is very effective.
Your #1 is not.
I don't believe 90F will kill an Orange Montipora unless the temp drops significantly at night.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan175 http:///t/392787/my-temp-is-high#post_3489927
With all you know cant you buy an apartment fridge run tubing through it to cool the water then to tank.
I could. Just don't have the time or space. Plus, I would think that a refrigerator is not very effective at reducing the temp. It would have to be a mini-chest freezer. Even then, if you drill a hole in the side, ... you may hit a coil and ruin the whole dang thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///t/392787/my-temp-is-high#post_3489930
Your #2 is very effective.
Your #1 is not.
I don't believe 90F will kill an Orange Montipora unless the temp drops significantly at night.
I'm watching my temp tonight to see where it is. So far within the last hour of the lights being off, the tank temp has dropped to 88.4F. A little more than one degree in one hour.
I will get a fan on the sump and possibly the display tank tomorrow. Ugh, now I am kicking myself.

xcali1985

What controller do you have, they also should be calibrated, my Apex temp probe was almost 2 degrees off.
I bought two of the cheapo digital ones and believe it or not they read different values, albeit only by a couple tenths of a degree, at that point I decided to split the difference and set the calibration to that.
Also a simple desktop clip on fan can bring a tank down 2-3 degrees with the lights on. With a controller it makes it easy to set it to turn on and off a certain times.
If its an apex, PM me and I can help.
I played with a Reef Keeper Elite but can't really help with programming.

snakeblitz33

I have a Profilux II.
There are support forums that I can go to.
I know my tank is hot. It was hot when I stuck my hand in the tank today to pull out some turf algae. That's what prompted me to set up my controller.
I'll get a fan or two tomorrow. Not an extremely high priority right now with just fish inhabiting the tank.
It's been 3 hours since the lights turned off. pH 8.0 temp: 87.4F
Think it could be some weird piece of electrical equipment that is causing too much heat or something?

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392787/my-temp-is-high#post_3489965
I have a Profilux II.
There are support forums that I can go to.
I know my tank is hot. It was hot when I stuck my hand in the tank today to pull out some turf algae. That's what prompted me to set up my controller.
I'll get a fan or two tomorrow. Not an extremely high priority right now with just fish inhabiting the tank.
It's been 3 hours since the lights turned off. pH 8.0 temp: 87.4F
Think it could be some weird piece of electrical equipment that is causing too much heat or something?
Highly doubt it. However, anything is possible. Heater possibly stuck on?

snakeblitz33

Heater isn't stuck on. That was the first thing that I checked, even before setting up my controller.
pH: 7.91
Temp: 86.6F
as of 5:42 this morning.

kiefers

Personally, I wouldn't add anything cold in the tank or sump. I would adjust the controller accordingly or even take it out and allow the temp to come down on it's own.
JMO

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/392787/my-temp-is-high#post_3490043
Personally, I wouldn't add anything cold in the tank or sump. I would adjust the controller accordingly or even take it out and allow the temp to come down on it's own.
JMO
The temp at 11:30 this morning was at 87.4F. That's as low as it got - even with the airconditioner set at 78F in the room. The way you wrote your last sentence suggest that I take the controller off the tank... I know that you didn't mean that, but the soda bottles.
I'm at a loss right now. I'm not exactly sure how to get the temp down to at least 82. Hopefully putting a couple of fans on it later today or tomorrow will help some.
I have to go get a new batch of water now.

mr. limpid

In the olden days I would use tank water to make up trays of ice cubes and put them in the tank. You might just need more ice. you said you checked all your equipment for excess heat.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392787/my-temp-is-high#post_3490045
The temp at 11:30 this morning was at 87.4F. That's as low as it got - even with the airconditioner set at 78F in the room. The way you wrote your last sentence suggest that I take the controller off the tank... I know that you didn't mean that, but the soda bottles.
I'm at a loss right now. I'm not exactly sure how to get the temp down to at least 82. Hopefully putting a couple of fans on it later today or tomorrow will help some.
I have to go get a new batch of water now.
how much top water movement do you have going on? If you have alot of aggitation on the surface, a fan may me beneficial.
Yes, the bottles, I wouldn't use them. To much cooling to quickly in my opinion may do more harm than good.

bang guy

Ice isn't the answer. It will not cool the water significantly.
Fans will definately help.
Set the air conditioner lower each day. Don't chill the water too fast, let the animals adapt slowly to a cooler temp.

mr. limpid

It also sound like something, a piece of equipment is heating the tank water. Especially if the room is cooler the tank.

snakeblitz33

I am going to check the ambient room temp here later this afternoon after lunch. I just need to see where all of this heat is coming from. If it's a faulty piece of equipment, I need to know about it ASAP.

bang guy

You checked the heaters.
You already know that any light entering the tank is going to heat the water.
I think you already know that water pumps and powerheads heat the water but they are necessary. For example, a powerhead that is consuming 50 watts of power will heat the water the same amount as a 50 watt heater that is stuck on.

xcali1985

Where is this tank located?
Windows and exterior walls can increase the heat of a tank even if the ambient room temp is low. I am currently dealing with it. I prefer my tank at 77 at all time because the actual reefs are 76. However, I had to stop trying to fight the extra 3 degrees and raised my tank controller to monitor it at 80 instead, because my chiller was constantly on.
I will probably slowly bring it back down this fall. Here is vegas when its 120 every day from June to September its almost a losing battle.
A tank at almost 90 degrees would worry me non stop. Thats at least 8 degrees that the highest recommended. A fan won't bring it down 8 degrees maybe 3 max. A chiller isn't practical as one big enough to pull a tank down 10 degrees would cost you a lot in equipment and energy bills.