My tempature is shooting up in my tank!

latinlord

What the hell... I got a 150 gallon FOWLR and just this week the temp went way up... It says 84 degrees.
I got t5 lighting and my heater is in my overflow... the temp is on the left side of the tank by the lights... could it be that my temp calculater is too close to the top of the tank by the lights??
Are my fishes ok?? They seem fine for now....
GRRR!!
Any sugges??
Gracias...

meowzer

put the thermometer lower and see what it reads....what type of thermometer is it? Is the tank open on top or closed?

latinlord

tank is closed... I got 3 tops on top of the tank... come to think of it... it didn't get hot till i put the final top on it.. that could be it... I'll try and put the thermometer lower... so it can get a better reading... The tank is kinda near a window.. not infront but about 2 feet to the right of the window.. i don't think sunlight is hitting it.. it has been raining out anyway... I got a Finnex Titanium Digital Control heater HMD 300W..

salt210

it appears that you have a canopy on it. how hot is it inside the canopy? if there is no way for the heat to escape it could heat the tank.

latinlord

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3018813
it appears that you have a canopy on it. how hot is it inside the canopy? if there is no way for the heat to escape it could heat the tank.
you know what??!! i think your right!! it is too smothered in there! I think what i'm going to start doing is ONLY put the 3rd lid on the tank when I need it to be quiet..ie studing at desk....
at night time.. i'll take the lid off... Do you think that will help?? Is there anything else I can do so I don't have to have an OPEN tank!??

bill109

what do you have the tops on there for? evap of a fear of jumping fish?
i use glass tops but in my sump i get all the gas exchange and occasionly flip half of the cover open.
u can get some of the plastic eggcrate..
if you dont take to this idea, the fans should work

hlcroghan

Check on your shark......how is the baby taking all this heat? and have you noticed any improvement on your temps??

king_neptune

Originally Posted by latinlord
http:///forum/post/3019450
Your all awesome!! Thanks a lot!!
oh and one more tip.....
if you know any local indoor grow stores, they sell 6-10" fans that are specificly meant to push a high volume of air in a tiny space.
I bought a couple 6" for like $30 a while back. They push a massive amount of air for such a tiny fan, and they plug into a standard wall socket.
Add a $10 timer to the fan so it shuts off when the lights come off...and your set.