naso tang

xeniaman

I added a large naso tang to my 240 reef yesterday and I might have made a huge mistake. This is by far the best looking naso I've ever seen. It is a male about 12 inches in length with streamers. The problem is my powder brown tang won't leave it alone. I added the naso last night with the lights out, I didn't rearrange my live rock because of my coral placement. This morning the naso is "shuffling" and stays in the bottom left corner of the tank. What should I do?

xeniaman

the powder brown is no longer attacking the naso, but the naso is still in the bottom left corner of the tank breathing rapidly. I guess all I can do now is wait it out. You would think a tang of this size would say enough is enough and come out and rule the tank. I can't believe how tame this fish is, at the lfs the naso let the owner take it out of the tank by hand and put it in a bucket.

xeniaman

I did not qt the naso because of the size of the beast, I couldn't stand to watch a 12 inch fish in a 20 gallon qt. I quarantine all additions but this was an exception and a risk I was willing to take. As far as acclimation, the lfs owner put the fish in a bucket because of it's size. I drove ten minutes to my house and began the acclimation process. I added 20 ounces of water from my dt every half hour, for 4 hours. I then poured the fish into a gallon bucket with water from display and poured the fish and water into dt. My tank perameters are all in line. Temp 78, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate .05. All fish, corals, and clams are healthy as can be. Some of my fish are more than 5 years old.

xeniaman

naso tang is starting to come out of the corner, and no more attacks from the powder brown. Do you think I should leave the halides off today? I will try and get a pic of the naso so you can see for yourselves what a beautiful speciman he is.

fishy7

Sounds pretty normal to me. It takes time for eveyone to get settled. I usually add fish in pairs. This keeps things unbalanced so one does not get beat on to bad.
Next I feed every day not a lot but plenty of food keeps everyone a little happier and takes attention off the new comers.
Good luck.
I like naso.

xeniaman

thanks for the advice, so far I haven't been able to get the naso to eat anything. I always keep nori on a clip for my tangs and I've also tried mysis, krill, sponge, and spirulina, so far no luck.

xeniaman

he still won't eat, any Ideas? I bought some brown algae and he won't look at it. He looks at the green algae on a clip but won't touch it. I might try some garlic soaked mysis.

ccampbell57

did you ask the place where you got it from what they were feeding it?? If you never saw it eat then you have an issue.

sulley

how long was the naso at the lfs for? also try to rubberband a piece of nori to a live rock as well as the clip. might be "more natural" for him. plus after being picked on he may not want to compete for seaweed yet. and as cambell said was he eating whne you bought him. letting the owner pick him up by hand is also not a good sign. good luck and hope everything works out for you