Need advice on high output...

cheyco

Okay, electricity is not my middle name and let me start by saying I am quite ignorant on the subject so please give any advice as if speaking to a five year old. Up until now I've run all my tanks with the Reef Sun lights. The only thing under them has been fish of course,rock,sand and your cheap anemones. I have closed in my garage and turned it into a recroom leaving of course enough space for a 125gal. behind the wall. I don't care what the lights look like because you won't see them hanging from the ceiling. I went to Home Depot today and bought some equip. Here are my questions. Is what I got okay to use and if so can I get away with trying my luck with soft corals. I am typing exactly what it says on the box and lamps... 8ft. 2 lamp strip light 120 volt. The bulbs, there are two of them say -cool white, F96T12/CW/HO/cold temp. 110watt each. Are these strong enough? Are they too strong? Do I need more? Will they be too hot? Am I going to burn the house down? Should I only leave them on for a couple of hours? Oh and the strip has the ballast built in. Thanks for any input. P.S. This was bad enough. The metal halide was way over my head to understand.

oceana

Originally Posted by cheyco
Okay, electricity is not my middle name and let me start by saying I am quite ignorant on the subject so please give any advice as if speaking to a five year old. Up until now I've run all my tanks with the Reef Sun lights. The only thing under them has been fish of course,rock,sand and your cheap anemones. I have closed in my garage and turned it into a recroom leaving of course enough space for a 125gal. behind the wall. I don't care what the lights look like because you won't see them hanging from the ceiling. I went to Home Depot today and bought some equip. Here are my questions. Is what I got okay to use and if so can I get away with trying my luck with soft corals. I am typing exactly what it says on the box and lamps... 8ft. 2 lamp strip light 120 volt. The bulbs, there are two of them say -cool white, F96T12/CW/HO/cold temp. 110watt each. Are these strong enough? Are they too strong? Do I need more? Will they be too hot? Am I going to burn the house down? Should I only leave them on for a couple of hours? Oh and the strip has the ballast built in. Thanks for any input. P.S. This was bad enough. The metal halide was way over my head to understand.

it is enough for only the most basic of soft corals IMO.
no it wont get to hot.
the bulbs will not look very nice. and the corals wont get everything they should from them since they are the wrong spectrum
PS: save yourself some cash and ask this stuff BEFORE you spend the money on it