Need as much info. on sea hoses asap!!

sandman12

Please help me,I just cuaght a sea horse and put him in my tank. I didnt do any research( I just got caught up in the moment and keep it) help me save his life.this is what i have
30L
40lbs. lr
bio-330 and power head
pipe fish
yellow gobie
and clean up crew
iam about to add a fake plant for him
thanks-james-

nm reef

I have never kept a seahourse...but my understanding is they need a peaceful setting with proper foods available. They tend to be docile and non-agressive feeders and most critters will out compete them for available foods. I guess they also need a place to hang out but I'd look at alternatives to plastic plants myself.
My best advice may be to try a google search and absorb as much vital info as possible as fast as possible.
There are a few members here that keep them...maybe somebody with hands on experience will drop in and help more then I have...best of luck...they are kewl creatures and I'd hate to think yours is doomed!:cool:

nmreef@cox.net

sandman12

ok thanks he wont get out competed with the food my gibie barly eats him self
but thanks anything will help

clarkiiboi

Look for a member named Sheree (or close to that)---make a new post directed towards her---she obviously knows her horses. HTH

sheree

If you caught this seahorse...its extremely likely it will only eat live food....brine shrimp..ghost shrimp...etc.
The others advice was correct...he needs peaceful surroundings, and no aggressive tankmates...you mentioned "cleanup crew"..usually includes crabs..not good for horses. It will become dinner for most crabs. The powerhead will make eating difficult for it. They dont chase down a meal...it pretty much has to float by.
My advice would be to release it back to the sea. It will have a much better chance at survival.THAT would be saving his life.
Hope ya make the right choice....just trying to help.

sandman12

Ok thanks , I guess i will let him go:(
Iam going to set up a 10 later and catch another one so any more advice on steing one up would be could
as far as the crabs i dont think they would eat him ,most of the day tjey just pick of the rocks but i guess u never know
thanks

overanalyzer

Hey sandman - you might want to check the local laws on catchign these critters. There are a lot of critters banned from random capture. You could face a hefty fine if caught if it is illegal.
I'd also look @ captive breed seahorses as they may be more likely to eat non-living food and be easier to keep.

bioreefer

sandman watch your self going in the ocean to gets these things could be costly on your part its alot cheaper to get captive seahorses. On the other hand watch the flow rate with them your filter is enough flow as is and certain crabs can be bad for them as well :cool: take care BioReefer

sandman12

Hmm didnt i just say above i was going to let it go asap??
P.S. were do u think the fish come from in the lfs?

overanalyzer

sandman12 - I think what DVS is trying to say is that a lot of fish are not wiold caught but rather aquacultured and not caught in the ocean. If you can't find a neat site on the net to buy captive bred oceanriders(ahem .com) then you could also check this site as they sell one variety of seahorses .....

overanalyzer

yo preacher man - I think the idea is to buy a aptive breed seahorse from an LFS. I think most people would not advocate the destruction of the natural environment @ the expense of one person's tank.
Also - I have no problems with captive bred clowns - better than having a bunch of bozo's running loose - :D
LAstly - bring on the captive bred food - a little veal paremsian sounds yummy!!

sandman12

THANK YOU kgrims!! Hmmmm....jw if u r able to get a sea horse for free from the ocean or fro $45 from the lfs?Hmmm not a hard one for me.
Also please please keep this peaceful:D Most every one is here fro a good reason, to help.:D
different oppinions will be seen , but dont "dis" any ones oppinion! Iam not saying anyone one has done it , just a reminder
thanks alor-james-

killafins

With seahorses it is simple. Don't buy wild caught, don't capture your own. It is morally wrong to do both.

robofish

Wild Caught / Net Caught / Captive Raised,
Unless you buy from OceanRiders.com or some other high priced place you will most likely be buying from your local store and 99% time any seahorses other than the standards are net caught.
The imports into Florida for net caught Brazilian seahorses are unbeleivable in number and I do beleive there is not enough regluations to limit this.
I am not proud of it but the only way I could afford the seahorses I wanted was via net caught stock. 120.00 for 2 red Brazilians as opposed to the oceanrider price of 175.00 each.
Wild Caught can be converted to Frozen Mysis shrimp. The trick I used was to purchase 2 that were already proven to eat frozen, then when I added my others, they soon began a sort of compete for the food and all are eating frozen.
Horses have to have a tank dedicated to them, so any type wild or not, should not be added to a tank with any other fish or etc. that will compete for food. They are beautiful but not the smartest of sea creatures and food can actually land on their nose and they still have to think about eating it (often 2 or 3 minutes)