Need Help With Fish Dying

ericlilly5

It was recommended that I repost this here...

It seems that I cannot keep my fish alive for more than a few days. The tank is a few months old with the following characteristics: 75 gallons, cascade canister filter, two circulation pumps (1400 GPH total), live sand and live rock, SG of 1.023 and water temp of 78 using real ocean water. Using an API test kit, the pH is 8.0, ammonia is 0 ppm, nitrite is 0 ppm and nitrate is 5 ppm. The tank does not receive direct sunlight and is located in a living room with moderate traffic but within sight of the front door.

I started the tank with damsels and had no problem with them at all. I moved the damsels to a tank for my son and added a naso tang, fairy wrasse and threadfin butterfly from my local fish store. The nano tang died after two days and the other two died after one week. The naso tang was most likely too small for the tang but appeared to have spots meeting the characteristics ick. The other two seemed great until one morning the threadfin had died and the wrasse was losing color and lethargic until it died later that day. Neither had spots when they died. I was unaware of the drip method for acclimation and was worried that perhaps I did not acclimate them properly.

I cleaned my canister filter and did a 50% water change with real ocean water and made sure that the SG, pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate were ok which they were. I ordered fish online this time and got two clownfish, a yellow tang, a blue hippo tang and another threadfin butterfly. I acclimated the fish for 2-3 hours using the drip method. The threadfin appeared DOA but after acclimation and some time in the tank seems to have snapped out of it. It died two days later. I checked the water quality and everything was standard. The two tangs looked lethargic and had some color fading before dying on the third day. The blue hippo appeared to have been trying to gasp for air from the top of the tank toward the end. While the blue hippo was gasping for air, one of the clownfish just suddenly died. It had been swimming in front of the circulation pump for most of the day. The remaining clownfish seems perfectly fine, for now.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated! I have been reading everything I can find on this forum but I am running out of ideas and growing increasingly frustrated. Am I overstressing the fish somehow?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
For saltwater purposes, your tank is really not a large size, and really too small (can't emphasize that enough) for any tangs. Tangs require min 125 long tanks. The must have good enough space to hard swim, and a 75 won't provide that. The other two major problems I can id right off is multiple acquisition of fish placed in tank and you don't quarantine new fish. These last two big mistakes are reason enough for fish to die.

What procedure do you use for acclimation?

flower

Hi,

Just jumping in with another thought, I 100% agree with Beth, so don't think I'm saying anything different...just adding to it.

If you did see ich on one fish, the entire tank is still infected. Ich affects the gills of fish so they can't breath and die, besides the itch of the parasites (spots you see). New fish are stressed,and are affected worse then the healthy fish already in the tank that are not stressed. Water changes won't get rid of the parasite, you have to leave the tank without any fish in it for 8 weeks for it to die off without a host. Since you lost all of your fish... don't add anymore for 8 weeks...and then only one fish at a time, and only fish that won't get too large for your tank when mature.

In case you don't know: Damsels are beautiful evil little fish, that will kill any thing in the tank less timid then themselves, and when mature are known for biting you drawing blood. There is a reason they are sold for so cheap.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Acclimation is excellent. Now you need to address the other things mentioned. The challenge is accepting that quarantining new fish is just as important to keeping fish as water in the fish tank is. Trust me. Good QT practice will make the hobby experience for you so much more rewarding.

ericlilly5

Thank you! It is so brutal watching them suffer when you think you are doing things correctly. I will definitely get a QT for all future fish.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You may also want to get a very good beginner through intermediate level hobby ref. book. "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner. Great read with all the basics (and much more) presented in an informative, yet, good read/illustrative kinda way.

ClaptonsGhost

Hi,
Water changes won't get rid of the parasite, you have to leave the tank without any fish in it for 8 weeks for it to die off without a host. Since you lost all of your fish... don't add anymore for 8 weeks...and then only one fish at a time, and only fish that won't get too large for your tank when mature.
This reminds me of a question I've thought about. Say, for example, your tank does get infected with Ich, and all your fish die except a group of chromis and some black and white damsels, who show no signs of infection and continue on in normal fashion. As long as they're in the tank, uninfected, is the tank considered to be empty with no hosts for the ich parasite? Or will they survive as long as even immune fish are in the tank?

jay0705

Tank has to be fishless to be safe. Certain fish have a resistance to ich but no fish are ich proof

honu808

QT all new fish and while they are in QT, run the display tank as normal, just no fish for many weeks.
I just went through this and Beth helped me through the whole process. Its worth it in the long run to ensure we help these animals thrive, not just survive.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
This reminds me of a question I've thought about. Say, for example, your tank does get infected with Ich, and all your fish die except a group of chromis and some black and white damsels, who show no signs of infection and continue on in normal fashion. As long as they're in the tank, uninfected, is the tank considered to be empty with no hosts for the ich parasite? Or will they survive as long as even immune fish are in the tank?
Very likely the tank remains infected with ich as long as fish are in it.

trigger40

this is the way i look at it. some people may not agree with me. if you have lr or live sand your tank has ich. ich is like a virus once its in your tank its always there. its just a mater of if there is 30 parisites or 3,000.

jay0705

Ich in nature rarely if ever occurs. Its a domestic parasite, yes stress makes it much easier for a fish to get ich. Also scaleless fish are more prone to getting it. Ie tangs. Now if your tank is ich free, and u qt all new fish your tank will remain ich free.
That said, ich is transmitted from infected fish or water containing the parasite. So if u buy live rock , snails, shrimp, ect from a tank w ich it can get into your tank that way.

Ich maybe number 1 killer in saltwater fish tank, saltwaterSaltwaterfish.com should have a survey for ICH per week with multiple questions, especially after the treatment, like does ICH come back after months.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ich is a fish parasite and must have a fish host to complete its life cycle. In the absence of fish in the tank, the parasite will die out.

That is why it is important to quarantine new fish prior to introducing to the display tank.