need help with my coral

P

preacherboss

I have a 90gal tank I have one hammer coral and two zoos, I also have one clown, two yellow headed gobes, one anthias, one fox face and five green chromis. I also have one Hoddoni carpet and two sebae anemones. My water all test good and I have a coral life compact lighting 10k 200w. My coral will not open for the life of me what am I doing wrong? I know alot about fresh water and learning alot about saltwater just need a little help and anything would be great. Thanks

mcbdz

Not enough light. Anenome needs strong light and the corals need medium. You have 2.23 watts per gallon. Not sure of amout that equals med but thats too low.

yosemite sam

Yes, that is not enough light, especially for a deep tank like a 90 gallon. Also, what are your actual water parameters, including Salinty/SG, PH, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Nitrates, Phosphates, Nitrites, and Ammonia? How old is the tank? What other equipment do you have?

P

preacherboss

Maybe I did not put the lighting in right cause I have friends with the same lighting and about a good foot deeper than my tank. my water is PH 8.4, KH12 salinity 1.023, nitrite 0, ammon. 0, nitrate 20, Cal. 440. I have the coralife 48 inch with two 10,000k 65watt compacts. Any other info you need?

P

preacherboss

Phos. 0.0 I forgot that one Mag. cannot find a tester for that.
And if I need stronger lights than 10,000k where can I find them? I have looked everywhere.

turbohaulic

It's not the Kelvin you need more of it's Watts. For a 90 Gal. I would get at least two 250 Watt lights with some acentics.
Just MO though. I've heard a general rule of thumb is about 5-7 watts per gallon.

P

preacherboss

I was told not to ever count the actinci lights my fixture all together has 250watts and I run it for 10 to 12 hours a day. I went to my lfs yesturday and I think my problem is my hydrometer. I am taking it there today to see if it is not working proporly(I am a bad speller sorry)

perfectdark

Originally Posted by preacherboss
http:///forum/post/2500689
I was told not to ever count the actinci lights my fixture all together has 250watts and I run it for 10 to 12 hours a day. I went to my lfs yesturday and I think my problem is my hydrometer. I am taking it there today to see if it is not working proporly(I am a bad speller sorry)
If you have 2 65 watt bulbs then you only have 130 watts of CF lighting. Actinics are said not to be as intense as the 10k daylights but certanly not to be left out. So, you have 2 blue actinics and 2 10k daylights? Total of 260 watts? If that is true, then contrary to what you may have heard or seen your lighting is not sufficient for your anemones, maybe ok for your LPS corals but they would need to be placed up high close to your lights. And soft corals should do ok. Is this a brand new fixture? How old are the bulbs?