Need help with setup

hnkthetank

I was wanting to setup a 20 gal tall. And I was wondering exactly what I needed to set it up with sand and no cc and undergravel filter
:needhelp:

murph145

what kind of tank are you looking to set up??
fish only or reef....
just depends on how into it you want to get..... the more serious you are about it the more money your gona have to shell out to get the right equipment...

hnkthetank

Originally Posted by murph145
what kind of tank are you looking to set up??
fish only or reef....
just depends on how into it you want to get..... the more serious you are about it the more money your gona have to shell out to get the right equipment...
EITHER OR AND IT DOESNT MATTER $$

S

shark bait

you could just nano cube it and go delux and call it a day

murph145

hmmm ok well fish only then you can use a simple set up with some sort of bio-wheel filter system where you could run some carbon ....heater ... test kit... some live sand or crushed coral bottom..... some live rock or fake rock.... a minimum lighting requirment what ever comes with the tank.... thats probably a minumal requirment for a fish only tank....
if you want reef its completely different./...
depends what kind of corals your going to wanna keep....
first off use live sand and live rock.... your going to need a filter system with a skimmer an extra power head for more flow.... there is other optional stuff such as a uv filter (debateable) .... sump to increase water volume of tank and stability....
lighting if you want soft and some LPS hard corals your going to need about 60-100 watts of power compact lighting over your tank.... if you want some of the sps or clams you can get a single 150W metal halide pendant over your tank and it would do wonders.... i would have a fan blow across the surface of the water to help aid it in cooling....
im sure theres a lot of other stuff im leaving out but others can probably help you... its always good to research first and see what u want read some books and look online!!!
good luck!!!

murph145

thats true alot of people get those nano cubes that have pretty much everything and they look really cool and can keep lots of corals!!!

fishmamma

I have a 16 and a 29 gallon set up with the following: Bio-wheel filters (as large as you can go to increase hourly water turn over), maxi-jet power heads with rotator attachment, heater, Aqua C Remora hang on skimmer and Dual Sattelite PC lighting. This allows to me to have all but the strong light corals in my tanks and IMO the skimmer is key to keeping water stable in a smaller tank. Pricey but worth it if you can add it at some point. I have sand for base that was seeded with a pound of live sand and lots of live rock. One tank has the fine sugar sand, the other a coarse variety. Thi sis a personaal preference and also can depend on what you would like to stock. :happyfish