Need some Advice

This isn't for me, it's my friend. He's kept freshwater fish for most of his life, but only started with saltwater recently, and is having trouble keeping things alive. Corals keep dying, and so do fish. He has two tanks, a 2.5 and a 5. He's had a clownfish and a cardinal and a couple corals that died. Now the LFS is saying that it's okay for him to put a red scooter blenny in there, and I'm afraid he's going to listen and doom the poor fish.
Can anyone suggest fish that would be more suitable for a tank that size? I know people are going to say not to put fish in there, but he won't listen, I've tried, he wants a fish.

trigger40

clown goby. but the fish are most likely why his corals keep dying. a tank that size cant support much life at all, even one small fish.

can you ask what his water is looking like?

1guydude

+1 his 1st attempt is like taking a old school mini Cooper and cramming it full of Clowns and mimes.
And on top of it... its probably Raining acid rain on and off which r the spikes of anmonia and nitrate.
How's the wc and schedule? Just need a cup and something to mix it in. I'd recommend a skimmer of some type...diy?!
The o2 intake alone will help. +1 on the Clown goby. Yellow and green r the two colors I've seen.
Maybe baby clowns if he can find em.
They have other tiny goby and blennys, just can't think of em.
Light? Filtration? Flow?
Thxs and Hths ur friend
D

His water is pretty clear. I think he's changing a gallon every week, maybe every two. I'll suggest a nano skimmer. I don't know much about his setup, but flow is supposedly strong.

flower

This isn't for me, it's my friend. He's kept freshwater fish for most of his life, but only started with saltwater recently, and is having trouble keeping things alive. Corals keep dying, and so do fish. He has two tanks, a 2.5 and a 5. He's had a clownfish and a cardinal and a couple corals that died. Now the LFS is saying that it's okay for him to put a red scooter blenny in there, and I'm afraid he's going to listen and doom the poor fish.
Can anyone suggest fish that would be more suitable for a tank that size? I know people are going to say not to put fish in there, but he won't listen, I've tried, he wants a fish.
Hi,

Your friend needs a bigger tank if he want's to keep anything alive. A 10g is IMO expert only, and he thinks as a beginner he can keep a 2.5g or a 5g tank...no way. The fish store is happy making money on him. A scooter blenny needs anywhere from a 30g to a 75g tank... Instead of asking the LFS, your friend needs to learn how to do a little bit of research for himself, so he knows what can live in what size tank.

http://www.reeftime.com/profiles/gobies-blennies/scooter-blenny/100025.htm

jay0705

Agreed, tank just isnt big enough. There isnt enough room to house enough bacteria to keep up w what he wants to keep

snakeblitz33

There should be enough bacteria in it to keep ammonia and nitrite down for one neon goby. The problem is if the tank is cycled, if there is enough rock and sand, if it is ventilated, if his salinity and temp is relatively stable and if his tanks pH stays steady. There are way too many parameters to control in a small tank. It can be done, but most of those systems don't include fish, just corals.

beaslbob

he needs a bigger tank at least a 10g for instance.

I would add macro algaes and get them growing.

then try a single FW male molly. Once they can acclimate a molly then try the more expensive and delicate marine only fish.

snakeblitz33

I think I would start the ten gallon tank and let it cycle properly and ghost feed, then do a small water change and add a little macroalgae and a goby of some sort. Technically, you can actually use a clip on light bulb over a tank like this and it would be fine.

Bryce E

His water is pretty clear. I think he's changing a gallon every week, maybe every two. I'll suggest a nano skimmer. I don't know much about his setup, but flow is supposedly strong.
Does he have a test kit? Doesn't matter if the water is clear to the eye... you need to know what the parameters are. How long have the tanks been set up?

If you can please list the readings for both tanks for at least:

-Ammonia
-Nitrite
-Nitrate
-Ph
-Salinity
-Temperature

Also, what is the water source being used for the tanks? Is he mixing his own saltwater or buying it? Is he using tap water to mix with salt or reverse osmosis? The smaller the system the more important this becomes... heavy metals build up quickly in a small system.

The reason the everyone is against small tanks for beginners here is simply because the smaller the tank (the less water volume) the greater the effect is from any little change that takes place in the environment. Small tanks are totally doable but yes not recommended for beginners and require a lot more observation and work. For example just look at the numbers for evaporation alone. If you have 10 gallons of water and you have a half a gallon evaporate then that's 5% of the total water in the tank. On 50 gallons if 1 gallon evaporates that's twice as much evaporation and that's only 2% of the total water in the system.

And on these tanks (2.5 and 5 gallons)... once you add sand/gravel rock etc... you have even less actual water in the system. Sounds like he's not going to give up on them so you may be better off just trying to help like you are.

List the parameters if you can... yes he's better off choosing less livestock and hardier species but you want to find out what the real problem is before adding anything else to the tank and get it corrected first if everything is dying.

Please don't let him inadvertently murder a red scooter blenny. He shouldn't get that yet if he can't can't keep a clownfish. They are in the dragonette family and typically require live food to survive. You need an established system with pods etc and even if you have that in a small tank they will wipe out the population very quickly (like a week lol) and you'll be in a bad spot trying supplement live foods.