need some advice

Chad C.

Well, the velvet outbreak in my aquarium killed all my fish except for my snowflake eel. I have been treating with rid ich plus. I didn't have a quarantine in place and so I know how I contracted the parasite.

So I bought a 20 gallon quarantine. :)

My question is, since the eel is not showing any signs of velvet, can he be left in the display tank?

I don't want to stress him out by moving him into the quarantine. Will the parasites survive if he is the only Fish in my tank? Should I continue to do treatments on my display and consider it fallow with just the eel in there?

lmforbis

The parasites can still feed on the eel. He may not be affected the same but the parasite will not be gone. Once you introduce more fish they will contract velvet. I'd remove the eel and treat him for velvet and leave the tank empty. I believe the fallow period for velvet is much shorter than it is for ich. Maybe @beth will be able to tell you that.

jay0705

Agreed, u can wait to establish the qt before adding the eel if thats a concern. But no new fish

bang guy

The Eel has an immune system that can keep the disease at bay. It could have actually been the Eel that brought it to the tank in the first place.

Chad C.

Yea I was hoping they couldn't survive off of him alone. Would it be alright if I used the water from the display tank to start the qt tank? Since the eel is alone in the dt could I just treat the dt while I wait for the qt to be established? And bang guy, thank you :). Lol I've been trying to convince my wife it was the eel most likely but she kept denying it since he's still alive and doing well. Need some professional reassurance lol

jay0705

It all depends whats in your dt. Lr , deep sand beds, inverts will all be effected by certain meds even hypo

Chad C.

Yea I have live rock so I'm gonna move my eel into qt. To speed up the life cycle of the parasite since my dt will be empty, I'm gonna crank up the heater. Will an eel be alright going from my dt to a bare hospital tank?

I've got him some pvc sections so he has a hiding place.

lmforbis

the eel will be fine since you are providing hiding places. I am sure you already know this but be sure the eel can't escape.

I don't believe raising the temp helps with marine ich.

Chad C.

Yep, I need to figure a good way to block off one part of the opening in the hood and he'll be secure. I haven't heard that it does with ich but with velvet it supposedly fast forward their life cycle. Since it'll be fish less I might as well give it a go