Need Some water advice.

mongoose

I have a small problem, my water in my reef tank is little hazy and I really want it to be as clear as possiable for a couple reasons. The first being that well it just looks better, and the second being that I think it could be slightly affecting the penitration power of my lighting. I use R/O water and do a water change of about 16% every couple weeks and use filterfloss I also have bioballs and a skimmer.
My question is.....Can I put some carbon in the tank for a few days to clear up the water without it affecting my reef? Thier is a slightly yellow tint to the water that is noticable with the blues off. I have cut down on my feeding to try and keep this from occuring again. Any advise is appreciated.
-Nathan

audisteve

I have the same problem, you can try to run carbon until the discoloration goes away. It didn't work for me, but I didn't use that much carbon only about 2 ounces. And there will not be any problems with putting carbon in and out of your tank. All carbon does is remove odor and very very small particles.

bang guy

Just kidding :)
The yellow/green discoloration definately affects the amount of light reaching your corals. Especially those deeper in the tank. It is usually caused by algae and is very normal.
GAC (Granular Activated Carbon) will remove the color when used for 48 hours and having your tank water forced through the GAC. It will not negatively affect your reef when used this way.