Need suggestions for RO/DI water location

cjworkman

I moved recently and in my last house, we had a hose bib in the back of the garage. So it could run all winter.
My new house only has outside hose bibs which need to be shut down during the winter months.
Any suggestions about where and how to hook up RO/DI filter? A good 3/4 stage unit with something for the water to go in is too big to shove under a sink.
I'm thinking utility room downstairs, but that would mean I would have to tap into one of the main copper water lines coming into the house and i'd rather not mess with that if I don't have to.
I don't want to run to the fish store for fresh water every 1.5 weeks til the end of time.

mr. limpid

Do you have a hook up for a washer? If you do you can use a garden "Y" adapter off of the cold water spicket.

cjworkman

ah.. that's a good idea.
although the wife may not be too happy with me taking up landry room space. hahahaha But that's better than anything I've thought of so far.
Any other ideas?

mr. limpid

That is where I have mine, It doesn't take up any of the wife's space. I have it mounted on back wall above washer on a piece of 1x and there is still room for her self for the laundry soap. I use gallon jugs which I place between the washer and dryer for fill. The good news if you forget to turn the water off there is a floor drain already in the area, speaking from experience. The other suggestion use the line taps that furnace guys use to hook up hole house humidifiers, they sell them at local hardware stores.

cjworkman

Thanks.. good ideas.
I have a whole house humidifier already, so i'll look and see if maybe I can just add another tap right after that one. I'd prefer all of it were out of the way so I can make a whole mixing station for saltwater as well.
but if I have too, the laundry room is a good idea.
Thanks guys.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/391645/need-suggestions-for-ro-di-water-location#post_3474563
That is where I have mine, It doesn't take up any of the wife's space. I have it mounted on back wall above washer on a piece of 1x and there is still room for her self for the laundry soap. I use gallon jugs which I place between the washer and dryer for fill. The good news if you forget to turn the water off there is a floor drain already in the area, speaking from experience. The other suggestion use the line taps that furnace guys use to hook up whole house humidifiers
, they sell them at local hardware stores.
Hah! I didn't know there was a floor drain in the laundry room... genius. I just thought there was a drain for the washing machine...
Who the heck would want to humidify their house?!?! I live in Louisiana where even in Summer it's about 80% humid outside... Humidifying a house would make it a sauna where I am from.

snakeblitz33

BTW - OP - It's very easy to tap into the copper pipes of a house. You just use a saddle valve. It's the same device used to hook up your ice/water machine in your refridgerator/freezer. You just clamp it down on there pretty snug and then pierce it with the screw down needle. Make sure you have some tubing and a ball valve on it closed off before you do it. When you don't need that connection anymore, simply screw it down completely and remove the tube. No harm, no fowl.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/391645/need-suggestions-for-ro-di-water-location#post_3474578
BTW - OP - It's very easy to tap into the copper pipes of a house. You just use a saddle valve. It's the same device used to hook up your ice/water machine in your refridgerator/freezer. You just clamp it down on there pretty snug and then pierce it with the screw down needle. Make sure you have some tubing and a ball valve on it closed off before you do it. When you don't need that connection anymore, simply screw it down completely and remove the tube. No harm, no fowl.
LOL that the same devise I'm talking about didn't know its name.