New 10 gallon

jake15

Originally Posted by Poop_heaD
I have a AC 300 would that work with the conversion and would it be to much for like a 10-20 gallon nano? I noticed on the other site it said you can switch impellers can you do that with a 300 to lower down water flow?

You might want to ask some other people but the older model number ac 500 = an ac 100 in the new model, so im not sure what a 300 would be but you can mod any of the models

poop_head

Oh ya I forgot that they switched the names around. I'll have to look into that. Now I'm debating on staying with the 10 gallon or doing a 20 gallon long or something like that.

chipmaker

Still do not understand why the intake U tube was cut off. Buyng a replacement U tube is a lot more $$ than a set of 2 inlet water tube extensions cost. A well worthwhile attachment is the surface skimmer for thew AC filter. It hooks right up to the inlet U tube and is just the right length for a 0 gal tank so it pulls water formthe bottom as wellas the surface. It works great.
One thing on making the fuge out of the HOB. Keep the side baffle away from the impeller mounting platform, or you have to drain fuge to remove pump impeller. Keep it away at least 1/4" and then the upper pump cover can be pulled up from inside the filter unit, and the impeller can be pulled up as well, and no need to drain the fuge down. If the baffle is against the pump cover top it will not allow the top of cover to be removed. I think its best to have approximately 1/4-3/8" space under bottom of side baffle and bottom of the fuge itself. No need for notches......as water output is going to fill more than enough plus if you keep that side baffle installed and high enough, and make the water push up from under the baffle into the fuge portion you can get better flow through in the live rock rubble and macro algae. If you do not get sufficieint flow through it soon gets accumulated with junk........Its also good to install yet anothe rbaffle approx 1" or so away from the side baffle and it provides a place for a heater or a pice of foam material if you need to filter rought junk out. Place first baffle away from pump mount housing, and up off the bottom as stated above, and high enough so water has to go through the nbottom and up, not over. If it goes over, its a sure sign the sponge or macro algae such as chaeto is getting dirty and clogged up........but filter media is still not needed in most cases.......Having the water push up from the bottom through the ruibble etc makes for a lot better flow though the fuge.

chipmaker

Originally Posted by Jake15
All i did was pull the basket out, put a baffle in two keep the sand from getting in the pump and added live rock rubble and cheato. If this doesnt answer your question then let me know

I would remove any sand out of the fuge and go with live rock rubnble and chaeto only. NO need and it does little to nothing anyhow when yu use sand in this fuge. Over time sand will be accumulated anyhow. There is nothing going to be in that fuge that requires sand that will not do just fine in lr rubble. Best to push water up through the entire bottom and LR rubble similar as to how oriignal filter used to work than just spill over from one side. Use the filter basket bottom for spacing and holding live rock rubnble off bottom of fuge, and use filter basket sides to make baffles out of. They work perfect. A simple piece of plastic hardware cloth works fine for a outflow spillway guard if needed.

chipmaker

Originally Posted by QN5
where did this piece come from?

That black piece is a sort of seal to cover the top of the pump inlet housing when you adjust the flow it helps make a seal. It can be removed (simply pulls off, its not glued to tube) and doing this will reduce flow of pump. Its good to do if there is just too much flow coming out of outflow spillway and the unit is adjusted to its lowest flow postion. Much better than trimming off the impeller blades, which can create a problem with getting pump to pull water in some situations.

chipmaker

Originally Posted by Jake15
You might want to ask some other people but the older model number ac 500 = an ac 100 in the new model, so im not sure what a 300 would be but you can mod any of the models
The old AC500 is now a AC110 model.,
All mods are the same on all AC hob filters. The MINI20 AC is great for a PICO sized tank....and they ALL work with the aqua clear surface skimmer attachment.......
I have a Mini 20 hung off the backside of a AC110. I run a piece of filter bat in the MIni20 and it keeps the water nice and clean inside the AC110 fuge portion plus it provides me a place to put my mini skimmer, and have it empty out into the MINI 20 filter unit, and spill back into the 110 units before it goes back into the display tank.

tanks alot

how do you like that 96 watt coralife quad i was thinking about getting one for my 10 that i set up.
do you get high temps at all

jake15

Originally Posted by Tanks Alot
how do you like that 96 watt coralife quad i was thinking about getting one for my 10 that i set up.
do you get high temps at all
I dont think you can go wrong with this light, it is really nice. I have not had any problems with heat.