New 125g getting started...

Ok, it's not new. Just picked up a used 125 gallon with solid wood stand and everything included (freshwater stuff mostly) off craigslist for $275. Pretty clean tank, 72 1/2 " by 18 1/2" by 23 1'2 " roughly. No holes drilled in it unfortunately but will be done.
I currently have a 55g tank up and running successfully for about a year now and am wicked pumped to upgrade. I learned my lesson on the 55g HAH. Way to small. Don't use pure sand. Flounders eat everything. and sumps are worth it.
Anyway, Just curious what DIY's out there are actually worth the time and effort and what is worth actually going out and buying the real thing.
This is definitely a work in progress (college student) but I want this tank to be top notch. I really want to do triggers with the tank.
For the most part the big bulky things i've found the best deal at LFS (Crushed coral, reef crystals). Where does everyone else find the best deals? and what is worth doing myself and what is worth buying the real deal. A friend of mine is going to make a sump for me.
Thanks,
Eric

ryant

I have a diy restore on here. Its almost the same situation i was in, went from a 55 to a 165. Ive bought most of my stuff from a local reefer club and craigslist. You can save alot, but you have to be careful not to buy crap thats not worth it.

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. Yeah looks like LFS are the best for the bulky stuff. And I've been doin' good on craigslist also. Thanks for the input I hope this goes well!!!
Thanks,
Eric