New 350 gallon tank

theirr

Hi,

I've got a 350 gallon FOWLR starting up. I transferred rock, sand, and water from a buddies good looking reef tank into my new tank. Tank includes a great protien skimmer, good water flow, a very big sump....and the other ordinary things. 1st thing I put in 5 damsels and things look good after one week.

Here's the question. I guy on craigslist has a dozen or so good looking tangs/triggers/wrases in a 150 gallon (way over stocked) with no live rock/sand or protien skimmer. He wants to sell the fish to me and I can put them in 2-3 at a time over a couple of months. Does this sound like a good idea? His tank is very overstocked and artificial without any live rock/sand or skimmer. I'm thinking how does he have good fish when he breaks all the good hosekeeping rules. Maybe he's running a heavy dose of cooper to keep the ick at bay? If this is the case then what could happen when the fish go from a cooper heavy tank to a tank without any cooper? Is getting ick on my end a great possibility?

Also, my 350 gallon tank is pristine with 300 lbs of rock and nothing has ever been in contact with cooper. If some tells me, oh if you get ick just throw in some cooper. What should I tell them? I'm guessing using cooper should not be an option starting up a 350 gallon pristine tank?

thanks,
Rob

ryant

might want to let the tank cycle out first, then worry about the fish. Copper can ruin live rock from what ive heard.
1EBD2399-68F5-FD83-75DF-C2CEE2520DD0

kylev

Do you have to buy all the fish as package? If not once your tanks ready I'd just take a couple you like the most and QT them and then go from there with it

theirr

I agree. However, it's my friend that is doing this tank and he's not listening to me so I was hoping someone would address the errors with a passion so he will bail on his bad idea....anyone willing? trust me I know better...

kylev

I think everyone on this site would agree that this scenario is a horrible idea and that your friend would greatly regret it after everything dies and then becomes discouraged with the hobby, and you definitely do not want to treat with copper in your dt unless you want all your rock and inverts to die. Plus I don't know if I'd buy fish from someone who has a tank stocked with a dozen or so of the fish specified in a 150g tank, IMO they will most likely be sickly and diseased. I also believe that the damsel looking good after one week doesn't mean much because the tank could very well still need to spike with its ammonia etc....

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrr http:///forum/thread/380113/new-350-gallon-tank#post_3308032
I agree. However, it's my friend that is doing this tank and he's not listening to me so I was hoping someone would address the errors with a passion so he will bail on his bad idea....anyone willing? trust me I know better...
In your very 1st post you said
HI...I HAVE
A buddy wants to sell ME
Also, MY 350g tank is pristine

where do you mention the tank belongs to a friend

How could a tank that is 1 week old be pristine, and be able to house fish???/

How about a picture of this set up????

Or does your "friend" have the camera too

kylev

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380113/new-350-gallon-tank#post_3308206
HI...I HAVE
A buddy wants to sell ME

+1 well put

acrylic51

Quote:Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380113/new-350-gallon-tank#post_3308206
HI...I HAVE
A buddy wants to sell ME

LOL.... I have to agree as well!!!! Pics and alittle more detail about the system. Definitely no where close to being ready to take on fish, and that many.

S

shrimpy brains

Do you or your buddy have a QT?? IT needs to be a good size QT. Anyway, if so, I don't see a problem. You stated you could get 2 or 3 at a time. So, get 2 of the fish and put them in QT for 2 months, This will allow for observation and an opportunity to treat for disease, if necessary. it will also give time for the DT to finish cycling. When all is well, add the 2 fish to your DT and go get 1 or 2 more for the QT.