New 75 G tank

J

jstdv8

yes, that would be the perfect starter coral.
I'm with the otehrs about taking your time though.
if you feel your tank is good then yes that would be a great coral to start with.
doesnt need food, only needs minimal lighting, grows fast and looks good.

J

jopik

Just got bubble tip anemone.
For some reason white stuff is coming up from it.
what is that?

J

jstdv8

Bad idea.
You wnet from laking about Zoas (very easy, don't need anything in particular)
To an anemone that needs extrememy stable conditions that a newer tank cannot give, needs to be hand fed, needs mass amounts of light and needs stability in its life. none of which you can provide right now.

J

jopik

should I take it out and throw it away?
for some reason clarkis are eating that white stuff

J

jopik

I've ordered it online.
If this is going to hard my tank i rather get it out.
what do you think?
or there is a good change it will survive?

ecooper

After reading through this thread again, why do I get the feeling this guy is playing us? I think I'm through with this thread.

J

jopik

I think I followed everything, just added bubble tip coral.
Please don't get frustrated.
This is a Forum to ask questions.
If I asked something and got an answer, its my choice to follow it or not.
Don't be so sensitive.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopik http:///forum/thread/383219/new-75-g-tank/20#post_3354729
I think I followed everything, just added bubble tip coral.
Please don't get frustrated.
This is a Forum to ask questions.
If I asked something and got an answer, its my choice to follow it or not.
Don't be so sensitive.
And it is each individuals choice to choose to answer your questions. Honestly, I am done with this thread for a couple of reasons.You have been given plenty of advice and fail to follow 90% of it, and now are starting to see the consequences. If I were in your position, I would go through and read every recommended thread. I would also invest in a couple of books such as the conscientious marine aquarist, marine fishes, marine invertebrates or saltwater fish for dummies. Many of the people here (myself included) are extremely passionate about maintaining a healthy aquarium and want to ensure they receive the care they deserve. It is ashame to sentence any critter to an untimely death, which could have been prevented had the proper research been done.
*The ignore feature has been activated*

J

jopik

You know what I feel?
I feel like this forum is for a bunch of sensitive *****.
If you don't follow advice they start******* and crying...
please have some self respect. (males)
Offensive language will not be tolerated, consider this a warning....A lot of people have tried to help you, yet you have basically thrown any advice in their faces
If you want real help.....continue with valid questions.....if not....well...IDK what to tell you except move on
Meowzer

J

jstdv8

Jopik,
I'll just start by saying you should see if you can at least cut your loses and bring it to a good LFS that can take care of it and find it a good home.
Really good local fish stores will actually give you credit for a fine creaqture like this towards the purchase of something else. It won't be full credit of what you paid, but it's something.
I'm sure I speak for everyone on the forum when I say we'd rather you didn't just take it out and dispose of it. Thats the same as killing a dog/cat because you can't take care of it. there are shelters and this animals shelter is a better suited tank. Anemones are one of the hardest things to care for in this hobby.
The other part of it is if the anemone is left in the tank and does die it will foul the water in the tank and may kill everything else.
Just take it to the pet store and see if they will give you anything for it, if not just give it to them. If they can nurse it back to health they can make a dime and you can know you did the right thing.
When I say LFS I don't mean ***** or petsmart. while these vendor do sell anemones they don't have the proper lighting in thier tanks either. They are banking that the anemone will come in and be sold within a week or less before it dies in thier tank. That's one main reason why most of us don't buy from them.
You're right, you can do with this and everyone elses advice what you please, but if you ask advice and then don't follow it and animals die needlesly because you din't listen or didn't do research then not too many are going to find the time to help you in the future.
I started off in this hobby as a total Newb, I didn't knoww hat a cycle was, I didn't do much of any research except that I knew kind of what I wanted and what equipment I might like.
I bought a tank that had a huge lionfish in it and a bunch of nice live rock and live sand. Witht he help of this board and ALOT of reading I was able to pull the lion through a couple bouts of my stupididty (mainly a mini cycle from stirring up the sand when we moved the tank)
and a little over a year later, I've learned so much and can actually offer a bit of advise of my own from my experiences. I have a very healthy nice looking 120g reef now.
Could be the same story for you.......

J

jopik

I understand. you are right.
then I won't be buying anything.
I guess I have to wait and wait.

J

jstdv8

You don't have to wait on that sweet zoa rock you posted earlier. that should be just fine to add.
Just that Anemones should only be kept by people who know what they are doing and have a very established tank. Thats all.
My tank has been up for a year + now and I don't feel like I'm perfectly ready for a nem yet.

J

jstdv8

yes, get as many zoas as you like :)
i'd persoanlly start with one and keep it for a few weeks and make sure its doing fine and then add some more. just to make sure your tank is good to go. They are very easy to keep and great for the setup you have IMO.

sapper577

Nice setup !! What kind of stand pipe are you using ?? Reason I am curious is that you are using a MD 9.5 for your return pump. My overflow is drilled 1.75 " and is rated for 600GPH on my 75Gl. I want to step it up from the MD 7 that I have used before and use the 9.5 for my new system. Have you did any modifications to your overflow ? I plan on DIY for my stand pipe based on the DURSO design. I know we loose GPH based on head and I'm just curious as to how it is working for you. Also... I would put a clamp on the hose coming off your bulkhead. They move and shake with the flow and are under constant strain from gravity. One of mine worked its way loose and I caught it before it came all the way off.

jeff10

What is better to use on a 75 Gallon tank for filtering? A Canister or something like 2 Emperors 470s (which rate for 70-75 gallon). A buddy of mine gave me a 75 gallon and Its just sitting there so I am curious if I am going to use it or not?