New 75g Reef Tank

eric b 125

I'd be real careful with those rocks, man. You see what some phosphates have put my tank through...God only knows what has leeched into your rocks sitting outside like that.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I know. But I've done it before.

I'm considering saving up and buying live rock. We will just have to see.

spanko

Hello Snake. Haven't been on in a while but see you are still doing builds. How many do you think you have done since becoming a member on SWF?

snakeblitz33

Quite a few. Sucks to be financially unstable. But I'm finally on my feet, out of college and working full time.

Good to hear from you again, Henry.

snakeblitz33

Well, I had a package arrive in the mail today. Almost all of my RO unit supplies. They didn't send my dual in-line TDS meter like I ordered. I hope it was sent as a Seperate package.

snakeblitz33

Well, good news...

I unloaded everything on the kitchen table and found the dual in-line TDS meter inside of a package. Man, it's much smaller than I imagined, but that's no big deal. The thing that I am frustrated with is the length of the electrical cables that comes with it. Anyways, at least it had pretty good directions that came with it. I'm satisfied.

I installed all of my filters... man, I got some filters. lol. 9 stages of filtration - it ought to do what I want it to do now. No more mistakes and creeping TDS. I'm also going to buy a sensor that I can program to tell me when the filters need to be changed and I can program it for different things. I can't risk problems coming from not having clean top off water.

I also discovered a possibility of something that might have crashed the last several tanks that I have owned. I was using a black silicone sealant to do a lot of the silicone work that I needed done... Nothing to unordinary about that... but what it was was GE Silicone II, which has a mold and mildew inhibitor in it - chemicals which kill bacteria and all kinds of stuff - and it was leaching into my tanks because I was using it for various projects. Well, through research and asking some questions, I found out that there are two different kinds of silicone. One is an adhesive and one is a sealant. Adhesives are much stronger and are used to build aquariums... So, I'm buying an adhesive black silicone to build the bean animal overflow.

I am still unsure what the potential dimensions should be on the drain box,.. but I will figure it out.

snakeblitz33

Oh, I forgot to talk about all nine filters really quick, for anyone that wants to know...

In order:

10 micron sediment filter
5 micron sediment/GEM coconut carbon block filter
1 micron sediment filter
Water softener
catalytic carbon filter
catalytic carbon filter
75GPD RO Membrane
DI Resin
taste and odor filter

If I have to add on to it, I will. I'm also going to buy and have extra filters, DI resin, carbon and sediment filters... Im not going to wait long to replace them.

Pics of the setup to come...

snakeblitz33

This weekend, I am going to buy some wood and Styrofoam. I really want to get the refugium stand, the 10g water change reservoir and the 2.5g reserve ATO up and running this weekend.

If I can get that stand set up and Styrofoam underneath the sump, I can set up the sump components and electrical work.

Speaking of electrical work, I can't find my GFCI plug in, so I'm going to just replace the whole power outlet/. maybe this weekend.

Whew, busy weekend!!

snakeblitz33

I placed it in a low spot in my utility room for easier maintenance. I'm hoping that it will drain properly. If not, then I'll have to re-do it all.

Here it is set up... In-line TDS monitoring, pressure guage and a cut off valve at every major stop. :) oh, and the BRS membrane is not hooked up. I just kept it there for storage just in case I needed to replace the other one.

snakeblitz33

I can't wait for my other purchases to arrive.

I still need to buy glass....

Anyone have some ideS on the dimensions required for bean animal overflow?

snakeblitz33

I decided to reuse the glass holes overflow box in the front and build a drain box in the back. The reasoning is because I think it will look better and the bulkheads will help support the glass drain box better. I'm going to over engineer it.

I'm going to buy the drain box plumbing and take measurements of everything and go from there. Fortunately, my glass shop cuts glass same day that you order. Woohoo!

snakeblitz33

I just got an order in the mail. Woohoo!!

I recieved my return pump, 7 bulkheads, the water director, a 200micron non mesh, glass hole saw and a gate valve,... Woohoo!

Now I need: plumbing, styrofoam, glass, wood, paint and silicone. Once I get all of that- I'll be doing great!!!

snakeblitz33

I just ordered my adhesive black RTV silicone for the drain box. I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow and buying the rest of the materials I need. Once I have a good idea how wide the drain box needs to be, I'll order my glass.

I might have this tank up and running in a week or two. Woohoo!

eric b 125

When I did the C2C w/ external BeanAnimal overflow I think I made the external box about 24 X 4 X 5. I'm pumped that you decided to go with a BeanAnimal. I still think you should consider a C2C, especially since you're going to all of the trouble of a B.A.. Just my .02

snakeblitz33

Could you tell me anything else about it besides "improved skimmer efficiency",... I read through the c2c thread on the other forum already.

I've gotten nearly all my packages in the mail now. The only thing I am missing is my Aquamaxx skimmer from affordable aquatic. After I ordered it and it hasn't arrived yet, I went online and did some searching and affordable aquatic has some horrible reviews,... I emailed the company yesterday and asked if they shipped it and how long it may be until they do,... I tried calling and it went straight to voicemail and the inbox was full. I'm starting to feel like I just got scammed. Anyways, it's something I'll take up with various courts and offices of I have to.