New 90 gallon Swim Tank

doveshaq

I am setting up an aggresive 90 gallon tank and would like some advise. I have had several nano-reef tanks, but never have tried a swim tank.
How much rock should I put in there and what kind?
How much sand?
I have ehime pump and a regular lighting system. Should I get a protein skimmer?
Thanks.

N

nereef

rock: the rule is 1-2 pounds per gallon...so a little over 100 would be great.
sand: i have about 80 lbs of sand in my 90gal.
i will always recommend a skimmer, especially on an aggressive tank.

N

nereef

Originally Posted by Konrade
Tonga or fiji lr looks good imo.
i agree. tonga is great for aquascaping. fiji has a great suface area:volume ratio.

doveshaq

Thanks guys. Im looking to get a clown trigger, blue line trigger, 2 lionfish, an angler and an eel. Any advise with those animals. Can any corals be kept with them?

aw2x3

Originally Posted by doveshaq
Thanks guys. Im looking to get a clown trigger, blue line trigger, 2 lionfish, an angler and an eel. Any advise with those animals.
Can any corals be kept with them?

My advice...SERIOUSLY rethink your stock list.
Not only will NONE of those fish work, in a tank that size, but they'll kill each other in less than a year.
Clown Triggers and Blue Triggers are in the top 5 most aggressive. They either need to be kept in species only tanks, or tanks that are massive (greater than 300gal), to live somewhat peacefully.
A 90gal. isnt big enough for one Lion, let alone 2, unless you're referring to Dwarf Lions, which would end up dead, in very short order anyway.
Angler's demand a species only tank, as they're slow movers, slow eaters and find it difficult to defend themselves. They'll either get starved to death or picked to death.
An Eel would work, depending greatly on the species and your new list of tank mates.
Sorry to burst your bubble.

ophiura

I completely agree with AW2x3 in terms of stocking.
YES, IMO on a predator tank you need a protein skimmer, and a good one.
I am assuming you have an eheim cannister filter? If so, this may also be underrated for what you hope to accomplish, IMO.

N

nereef

a good aggressive 90 might go a little sumthin' like this:
1. dwarf lion
2. smaller species of eel
3. maroon or clarkii clown
4. dwarf angel
5. black cap basslet