new anemone

dirtyredd

well my first carpet committed suicide by getting to close to the outlet valve and getting sucked in. I bought a new one and he has been in the tank for about 2 weeks now. he seemes to have attached nicely, but he shrinks down to half his size at night. Is this normal. he also seems to shrink after eating silversides. other than that he seems healthy. I have a 180 gallon tank with live rock and fish. I have to 36 inch flourescents and two t5 flourescent, I also have two moon light flourescents. am i giving him enough light? please help id hate to lose another one :)

joe 09

it is normal for your anemone to close up at night.i am not sure you have enough light,a carpet needs bright light.i have a long tentacle that a maroon clown hosts ,and is doing very well for two years under 4- t-10s,two day light,two actinic,48 inch.the anemone has grown to about 9in.i dont feed it the clown does all the work.

dirtyredd

Im thinking i might need some better lighting, my flourescent are kinda old which leaves me with to sets of 36 inch lamps which include two t-5s and two of the moonlight blue lights. i have two clarke that stay with it all the time. thanks for the suggestion for more light.