new hippo being harrassed by sgt. major damsel

shaunda

I just got a new blue hippo tang. He is about 10 inches. I have this sgt. major I can't catch. He might be 4 inches. He keeps nipping at the tang like he is eating something off of him. Is this normal or is he going to kill my tang. The tang is so much bigger than he is, why doesn't he attack the damsel?

shaunda

I finally caught the damsel. My tank is all stirred up now but at least that crazy fish is gone!!!! Maybe my tang will make it now. He cost me 60 bucks and I refuse to let a $4 damsel kill him. I think that is what happened with the yellow tang that didn't make it through the night.

windmill

Sergeant Major damsels are shitheads. I had a pair in my first tank that dominated it even with a niger trigger and snowflake moray. Good call getting rid of it, he'd probably eventually kill that blue.
I noticed you and I live in the same area Shaunda. I'm living in Tanglewood, mind me asking which area you live? What kinda stuff do you keep and would you ever be interested in a trade or something?

shaunda

I live in Preston Forrest. I currently have the blue hippo tang, flame angel, (2) clarkii clowns, maroon clown, lunare wrasse, spotted mandrin, psych. mandrin, foxface rabbitfish, brittle starfish, some turbo snails and a snowflake eel. I am done adding fish. My tank is 125 gallons. I am not doing corals at this time just live rock and fish. I am still a newbie at this so to speak. How long have you been doing this?

windmill

Preston Forrest......that's on the peninsula right? Out 121 past Highport Rd......on the left if I remember correctly.
Wow, that's a fully stocked 125. Those brittle stars aren't likely to last very long with that snowflake and the snails might become snacks for the lunare. But then again, each tank is different. How big is your snowflake? When I first started this hobby, my inexperienced young butt bought a 3 foot long one and stuck it in a 40 gallon. I learned real quickly they'll get out every opportunity they get, usually at night.
I've been playing with aquariums for most my life but saltwater has pretty much taken over. I've got about 8-9 years experience (i've taken a few long "breaks" because of catastrophes). Most recently, i've down-sized my old 55 gallon to a new 20 gallon. I'm going to seed a bunch of my old base rock and try to make it "live" rock and save for a new, larger tank. Have you been buying all your stuff off this site or settled on *****? I used to get some stuff from there when I was employed by them and got a discount, but it's not worth it anymore.

shaunda

So far my eel has left my starfish alone and the lunare has left the snails alone. I am feeling pretty lucky right now. I knew there was a chance of my lunare eating the snails but thought I would chance it. He picked at them in the beginning but has since left them alone. My eel is small, he is about the size of my finger and about 8 inches long. He does attack the lunare every once in a while if the lunare tries to take his food, he hasn't hurt him tho. I started to get stuff at ***** and have since learned they stink. I have been going to Aquatic Designs in Plano for my live rock and sand and my tang. I ordered my angel and two mandrins on this site tho and they are the strongest fish in the tank. The tang is still hiding in the rocks everytime I come around. I know he is eating because I have caught him when I sneak around the corner. I hope he gets over his shyness. My foxface is just now getting out of his shyness but still runs and hides alot. I am still so new at this and would love any help you could give me. I love this hobby so far. The only problem is I can't seem to get anything else done around the house because I want to mess with my tank so often!!!!!

windmill

That's a typical tang - extremely shy at first. I assume you know about the foxface's venomous dorsal spikes and the mandarin's exclusive copepod diet too. Keep working with your tang, the more you are around - especially during feeding - the quicker it'll get used to you and your presence. Eventually it'll learn to associate you with food and come out to "beg". It sounds like you have a wonderfully colored tank too. I've always loved the looks of those flame angels. I'm gonna get one eventually.
I love this hobby so far. The only problem is I can't seem to get anything else done around the house because I want to mess with my tank so often!!!!!
I hear that. I've been trying to get to the point where I can get a nice new set-up and configure it so there is very little, if any maintenance. There's also this idea I have for new type of wavemaker i'd like to build a prototype for eventually. So much to do, so little time - and money.
I was rereading your post and was curious do you think I have overloaded my tank?
Perhaps.....You do have a lot of fish in there. Even that tang alone in the 125 might feel cramped. It's too close to tell for sure. If I were to venture a guess, without knowing your mechanical and biological filtration capacity, i'd say it is - but that's just my opinion. I like to keep understocked tanks. The main thing to worry about is that snowflake, he's a massive waste producer. If he gets much bigger you're going to have to worry about your bio-load and the risk of a tank crash.
I have some old miscellaneous aquarium supplies like powerheads and duetto filters, even an ancient Lee's counter-current protein skimmer (I think I still have that) I'd be willing to trade or even just give to you. I was going to ask if you might have any other tanks or equipment. I'd like to set-up a seahorse tank eventually and am looking to collect supplies. I also have various sizes and shapes of left-over tuffa rock that was being "seeded" in my 55 gallon. Some chunks have quite a bit of coraline algae on them. If I can't find somewhere to submerge them temporarily, they're going in storage.