new horned lizard

ric maniac

Alright, so we went horny toad hunting and I found a 6 inch long one. It's in a 20 gallon tank. I'm going to get a head lamp with 2 to 3 micro watts of uvb per sq. cm. I'm feeding him small crickets and putting water on his back to drink. Is there anything else I need?

reefkprz

repti safe water conditioner, has electrolyts and dechlorinates to boost water quality. cricket gut load so your lizard gets proper nourishment crickets arent a very nutritious food source if fed un-loaded. also I reccomend herpe-vite multivitamins and rep-cal calcium (use as per directions on lable). DONT buy a cheap reptile multivitamin that has calcium in it because the chelation process destroys the beta carrotine in the multivitamin.
a hide hole with damp moss and a dry hide hole are important too to assist in shedding.

ric maniac

Ok, so like 2 coconut shells one with damp moss and one with sand? and i'm feeding my crickets with gut load already. what is a good lamp to use and what brand of vitamins? thanks!

reefkprz

really depends what you like in lizards. if you want a handleable one or just one to look at. are size considerations an issue? do you want a high maintinence lizard or a simple one?
myself I go TOKAY GECKO! easy to maintain, light eater, beautiful. but strictly a hands off reptile.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2700680
Wait, did you get a toad or a lizard lol? Nice gecko reefkprZ!! Why is it strictly a hands off reptile?
Very aggressive, nasty lizard. But very cool looking.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2700669
really depends what you like in lizards. if you want a handleable one or just one to look at. are size considerations an issue? do you want a high maintinence lizard or a simple one?
myself I go TOKAY GECKO! easy to maintain, light eater, beautiful. but strictly a hands off reptile.
And they quack like ducks when you make them mad...haha.
Yes, very hands off reptile. I had an 8 foot Boa that was much less intimidating. Tokai's are MEAN! I miss the little devil.

reefkprz

both the Texas and Mountain Short-horned lizards are state listed as Protected: which means it is illegal for anyone to take, possess, transport or sell them without a special permit. Not only is it illegal to keep horned lizards, but they are difficult to care for in captivity, and most captured ones eventually die from improper care
there are 11 other species that are not protected

coral keeper

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but where I live there are tons of alligator lizards. I have a 28g long and a standard 30g laying around. A lot of people say that alligator lizards are very hard to care for and will die. Is it true? Are they easy to care for? What are there requirements?

reefkprz

Alligator lizard care:
this animal is diurnal
Lighting:
Use a full spectrum UVB light; this will output good UV rays for calcium absorption so that it can digest its food better. The UVB light should be used for 8-10 hours of ultraviolet lighting. This can be maintained by using a timer.
Temperature:
The daytime temperature should be between 75-85 degrees. The Basking area should have a temperature from 90-100 degrees. At nighttime the temperature should be 70-75 degrees.
Humidity:
Humidity should be at 55%
Food:
Crickets, earthworms and wax worms dusted with calcium. adults should be fed every other day, juveniles can be fed 2 times daily since they will be growing. gut loading and multivitamins also reccomended.
Water:
Shallow dish of water. Water must be changed daily. reptisafe water contioner reccomended
Housing:
29-gallon tank is minimum. Screen Lid required for air exchange. These reptiles need a temperature gradient so therefore you will need a basking spot and a cooler area. Also you will need somewhere where the reptile can hide, this will decrease the stress level. Climbing branches should also be available.
Number Per Enclosure:
One male per enclosure.

[hr]
this care sheet is from herphangout.com I put some more information into it that I deemed important.

reefkprz

only if you need the light to maintain temperature.
the important thing is the UVB lighting. with out it the reptile will eventually develop MTB which is a bone disorder from being unable properly digest its calcium.
calicum and multi vitamin supplements are one thing that honestly not enough herp entusiasts push, gut loading is great and helps a TON but the multivitamins and calcium are for whatever the feeder crickets dont provide. in the wild these reptiles have a large assortment of insects that all consume varying things, this fills out their vitamin and mineral needs. crickets alone cant do that.