New ich questions and concerns (help Beth)

cashemin44

Copied from copper in sand??? Wanted to make sure I didn't go unnoticed.
Been working, just got back on. Thanks for the replys. Well, we do have a FO tank, for now. Since we ass backwards qt'd our shrimp and crabs from the main tank, our QT tank started to cycle. My fiance thinks that something else happened, but 3 weeks with no nitrifying bacteria will cycle a tank. The ammonia never spiked, but our nitrite and nitrate were at high levels. Our fire shrimp became paralyzed, which question #1 is, could he bounce back?
Story goes, 4 days ago, we contacted SeaCure to ask about removal. They made it sound like that their product is not as harmful of a copper treatment as other products are. They said put carbon filters in and in a few days, it'll be fine to put our shrimp and crabs back in. We went overkill of course and used the carbon filters, a poly filter and cuprisorb. Waited two days and put crippled shrimpy back in along with the crabs. The crabs are doing fine. Shrimpy is still moving, a week after showing signs of dying.
One other note, Bob from SeaCure said his product will still be asorbed slightly by the substrate and dead coral rock. As long as I change my carbon filters regularly, it'll be fine for my fish and he even said other inverts in the near future (ex: anemones, sponges)
As far as my plans, the fake stuff looks great for now. I might put a few low light inverts in but being overcautious, I plan to wait 6 months or better. Question #2 do you agree with that?
Question #3 is believe it or not, the Tang shows ich again. Do we attempt a freshwater dip before quarantining him? Do we do a 100% water change on the cyling tank and fill it with display tank water? The nitrite is still present in the current QT tank water. Display tank water is 0 except for a .30 nitrate. Funny, we did a water change last week.
Question #4 Hyposalinity will take 3 weeks +, correct? If the problem before happened by filling our QT tank with display water, 3 weeks past and we had a cycling tank with unacceptable levels. Why is this going to be okay to treat with hyposalinity and risk our levels going out of control? Water changes every week with the QT tank didn't work the first time around.
Remember, it's our Whiteface Tang who's gettin ichy, hehe. Thanks folks for all your advice so far. Please post some more suggestions. It's greatly apprieciated.

lion_crazz

I don't know what kind of "low light inverts" you were thinking about, but I do agree to wait a very long time until you try any more inverts in that tank.
Freshwater dips can be very harmful to fish. I would not attempt a freshwater dip on the tang. I would quarantine the fish and perform a hyposalinity treatment.
Change the QT water out with display tank water, and pick up some Fritz-Zyme's Turbo Start to add loads of nitrifying bacteria to the QT so that it does not go through another cycle. See if any of your LFS carry this product. It is live bacteria, so it will really help prevent any kind of cycle in your QT.

cashemin44

Awesome- the LFS sold us instead this stuff called AmQuel plus that is supposed to remove ammonia, nitrite and nitrate without disturbing the cycle so we'll be able to put the inverts in there while we do hypo to the display tank. Cross your fingers for us...

lion_crazz

Unfortunately, AmQuel is not very strong. It is more for dechlorinating water. You would be much better off with the live bacteria...