New lights, New problems.

ntvflgirl

Yes, the dreaded algae, has come, and brought along a little friend...cyano. I've added 260 watt pc's about a week ago. I really don't want to use a chemical in this situation. But i am also at a disadvantage because I don't have a sump or a skimmer...yet. I use ro/di water. All water parameters are normal, but I don't have a phosphate test kit. Should I try the phosphate sponge? Do they *really* work...(dumb question, I know). I only leave my lights on for 7 hours a day. I got lucky at the lfs, and found a red legged hermit that ate a small amount of cyano I had in my tank. The other hermit killed him for his shell. I didn't think the red legged ones did that very often...hmmm...anyway. Thanks for any info you can give me. Oh, one more thing, my sand is turning brown...I'm assuming it's ordinary algae. Any suggestions?

scruz

i know the feeling,same thing happened with my upgrade.get a skimmer asap,it will help get rid of some of the food algae grows on.some algae bloom is normal,but your tank is still in it's break-in stage,anything under 1-1 1/2 yrs.there are some products that work well on cyno, the browm sounds like diatoms,may burn themselves out.hope you didn't get the dreaded hair algae.may want to change some water but GET that skimmer and hold off on anything else till everything is under control.steve

I think the first thing you should do is reduce the number of hours for your new lighting and allow your tank to slowly build up. I had the same problem when I upgraded my lighting from NO to PC lighting. I would suggest cutting your lighting time down to 5 hours a day and allow your tank to slowly build up...1/2 hour to 1 hour every week.
You will probably see a green film of algae growing on your tank walls which you can use a scraper to clean off. In 2-3 weeks, your tank should have gotten used to the new light(excess nutrients should be done).
Good LUck

scruz

hi again,cyno is a result of excessive waste building up,esp in a new tank,ie- all the stuff from your fresh rock,salt-mix,etc.way too much for your boi-load to efficently dispose of.the skimmer should have been one of your first buys.get it going-brand?ck the threads on this site,lots of diff opinions-i use a seaclone on my 65-decent.if you can have someone ck your tank specs,just in case.good luck-steve

mlm

I would get the skimmer ASAP but I would not freak out. Sometimes in new tanks you get these outbreaks but they go away very fast. Its kind of like when you cut down a forest the fisrt thing that grows are weeds. Think of cyano as weeds. I had a small out break in my new tank before I really had any fish in it. I let the tank be and in 3 or 4 days it was totally gone as if it never was there in the fisrt place. I fyour tank was mature and you had this outbreak then I would worry but otherwise get your skimmer and relax.

ntvflgirl

Thanks, everyone...I feel much better. Skimmer is on the way. I hope a seaclone 100 will be okay for my 55.