New refugium!!!

shista

Ok... so i am really exited i just started a refugium... I was wondering what are some beneficial things to put in there. I just put a DSB and have cheato and tisbe pods on the way. I restarted my tank because of a bad anemone outbreak and i dont really have alot of sand critters (worms,etc). I want to buy alot of live rock rubble for critters but i am scared of a slight chance of ick entering the system? Is there any other algae other than caulerpa that is beneficial like cheato? any critters for the sand besides nassaris snails?

shista

i considered that... do you think they will be predators on the pods? and is anyone familiar with ulva lettuce or any other macroalgae? would a 23 wattt 5000k Compact Flourecent(spiral ones from Home depot) work good for the refugium? any input on adding rubble to an existing tank while fearing ick?

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shista http:///t/393619/new-refugium#post_3502422
i considered that... do you think they will be predators on the pods? and is anyone familiar with ulva lettuce or any other macroalgae? would a 23 wattt 5000k Compact Flourecent(spiral ones from Home depot) work good for the refugium? any input on adding rubble to an existing tank while fearing ick?
Use dry base rock rubble. Or QT (fishless) the rock for longer then the ich life cycle (6-8 weeks to be more then safe).
And I don't believe that Xenia eat, they just need light, no worries for the pods.

shista

i did use base rock for the whole tank exept for one piece. And there is fish in it now.. I was thinking of maybe buying alot of LR and putting it in qt for a month... Anyone have any experience with miracle mud?