New starter coral help...

cjworkman

Hi there,
I've got a 72 gallon bow, it's 1.5 years old. I've had healthy fish with no deaths for at least a year. Good coraline growth, overall very healthy tank.
I just purchased new lights because I didn't believe my 260 Watt PC's were enough for coral because the 72 bow is a fairly deep tank at 18"
I purchased a used Aqualight Pro with 2 150 watt Metal Halides and 2x 96 watt Acitincs.
What would be a good starter coral? Brain, Zoos, Ricordia, etc.
I'd like something colorful that will be a bit floresent in the light.

reefer545

Start with corals that will eventually be moved up in the tankso you can save space on the sandbed for future acclimation. You should also maybe consider what kind of corals you want to keep inyour tank: SPS, LPS, Softies, etc, as corals are best kept in like groups. Once you decide that, you should have no problem deciding what you want first. If you have ever used medicatins with copper or heavy metals you wont have inverts that stay happy. Otherwise, zoos are always a great starter, palys too, adn they can be kept in just about any tank. If you want LPS, most of them are very hardy adn easy to care for. Some zoos phosforesce very nicely as well Frogspawn, and most brains will phosphoresce under actinic lighting. Good luck

trippkid

I'd say any that you listed, also hammers,frogspawn,bubble,shrooms, montipora caps and digis, candy canes, polyps (GSP,daisy, clove),really just about anything, I would stick with lower priced stuff to start, then when you realize you can do it, buy the higher priced stuff. Just go slow, and research the animals before you get them. Good luck

cjworkman

Thanks for the help guys.
I'd like to have an SPS/LPS combo tank. But I didn't know if any corals were particularly harder to keep than others.
I guess i'll just pick out something on the cheaper side to start with and see how it goes.