new tank

leopard_babe

My tank is in the process of cycling still. I like the sound of an aggressive tank. However my tank is kinda small for aggressive fish. When i move out I am getting a much BIGGER tank. This tank is a 46 for a begginer. What are some fish that I can put in a small aggressive tank?

A dwarf lion, umm dottybacks(I just did a post on them), one of the smaller eels. Damsels. yeah you are kind of limited. Bigger tanks would allow for the more known aggressives such as the king of aggressive fish the Volitans Lion or other miscreants like undulated triggers or picasso triggers which are great to watch. Or you can go really big and go for the true kings of aggressive fish- sharks and not those pansy banded cat sharks,I mean, mean sharks like black tip, bonnetheads and grey tips :) you would need a NOVICE sized tank for those though. Or you could go bigger and and........

A Fu Man chu would be great unfortunately they are the hardest lion to keep alive because many of them just wont adapt to eating in captivity. Try a zebra or fuzzy dwarf lion if you go that route. But since we are on the subject I though of a few others that could work very well. Look into leaf fish and many of the others in the wasp fish family. There are many smaller species of wasps that you can put multiples of in. That would be something really unique. I only know of one person with a true waspfish tank but he studies the things professionally.

D

daniel411

A hawkfish is neat, to bad I couldn't keep him AND my shrimp....

leopard_babe

yeah I know. i am just looking into all of my options. it is so hard to decide. i definatley don't want clown fish, or wrasse. I just want a cool and colorful tank. Hopefully with a lot of action.

jp0379

Hey, besides the above suggestions, a snowflake eel would fit in nicely.........just make sure it has some liverock for him to hide out under.

leopard_babe

would an eel fit in my tank???? If I get an eel I want another fish. I heard that they hide alot. I wanna be able to see my fish.

jumpfrog

To go with an eel in that size tank...........as grouperhead said, a toby and a hawkfish would be great or a dwarf lion. Frogfish or angler or even a tassled filefish would work in that size tank. None of them are really active swimmers which is what the other aggressives need.

leopard_babe

How much for the tank? what are the dimensions of your tank? I don't know what my parents would think of a 180. However I think that it is GREAT. Why are you gettig rid of your tank?

leopard_babe

So in my 46 could I have a snow eel, a dwarf lion, and a cc starfish? Maybe I am starting to get somewhere. Can I put in anything else, or am I looking at being fully stocked???? I can
ex-nay the starfish, but I have always wanted one.

tony detroit

Originally posted by Leopard_babe
How much for the tank? what are the dimensions of your tank? I don't know what my parents would think of a 180. However I think that it is GREAT. Why are you gettig rid of your tank?

Getting a pre-drilled 170gal bowfront to replace it.
The dimensions are 6 foot long by two feet tall by two feet wide.
550 with cpr overflow(which works after a power outatge unlike other overflow boxes.) and pine stand.

leopard_babe

Do you have any pix of it??? it sounds great. I wish I would have gotten a bigger tank now that I have mine set up. I will have to do some measuring, and then I will get back to you.