new to aggressive fish!!

mckevinfang

i have a new 38 gal tank
- bio wheel filter
- 150 watt heater
- 3 foot. two 50/50 bulb lights
i want to make it a FOWLR aggressive tank
with some bad ass killers

first i want to know what are some rare unique aggressive fish?
second how many fish can i put in this tank?
third what about an eel also?
fourth how many lbs of live rock and whats a good type like Hawaiian or Figi?
fifth how many lbs of live sand and black or white color?
sixth how would you set it up?
i kind of want the type that will eat smaller fish like damsels but something not so common

S

surfinusa

Lets start with what fish you cant have. Eels,triggers,puffers,tangs,groupers,sharks,rays and probably a lot of other fish I forgot but your probably not going to have fish that eat each other. If you got like a 180 gallon than, yes, you could have one sweet aggressive setup with fish that eat each other.

ccampbell57

HMMMM...you are really limited to what you can have in the tank. 38g is not going to go very far for aggressive fish. Most aggressive fish will fill the 38g by themselves. My Crosshatch would barely be able to breath in there.
Rare unique aggressive?? Purple Rhinopius Scorpion Fish. Or the fish in my avatar, Clarion Angel. You find these in trade and you might as well have won the lottery. You could have a Rhinopius in your tank and it would be fine. Also anglers or frogfish.
How many fish?? Aggressive? 1 maybe 2 depending on the type and size
Eel??? Nope
Live Rock?? For your tank, I would go with Marshall Islands. It has a lot of surface area and you get a lot of rock for less weight. I would go with 1#/gallon. 35-40#'s would do fine.
Sand?? Again it is personal preference but I would do Caribbean Argonite Live sand. 40#'s.
Setup?? Personal preference, but would do a single volcanoe aquascape with a few caves.
Finally, why do you want a fish that will eat other fish?

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by surfinusa
Lets start with what fish you cant have. Eels,triggers,puffers,tangs,groupers,sharks,rays and probably a lot of other fish I forgot but your probably not going to have fish that eat each other. If you got like a 180 gallon than, yes, you could have one sweet aggressive setup with fish that eat each other.

wow i was so excited when i picked this tank up for 40 bucks now i cant have a lot of fish
well i already have a reef tank 29gal biocube and i wanted to have a bigger tank with aggressive so i can have a mixture in my room but your list takes out alot

nigerbang

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
wow i was so excited when i picked this tank up for 40 bucks now i cant have a lot of fish
well i already have a reef tank 29gal biocube and i wanted to have a bigger tank with aggressive so i can have a mixture in my room but your list takes out alot

I cant think of any really aggresive fish that will go in a 38...Damsels...seems about it..

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
HMMMM...you are really limited to what you can have in the tank. 38g is not going to go very far for aggressive fish. Most aggressive fish will fill the 38g by themselves. My Crosshatch would barely be able to breath in there.
Rare unique aggressive?? Purple Rhinopius Scorpion Fish. Or the fish in my avatar, Clarion Angel. You find these in trade and you might as well have won the lottery. You could have a Rhinopius in your tank and it would be fine. Also anglers or frogfish.
How many fish?? Aggressive? 1 maybe 2 depending on the type and size
Eel??? Nope
Live Rock?? For your tank, I would go with Marshall Islands. It has a lot of surface area and you get a lot of rock for less weight. I would go with 1#/gallon. 35-40#'s would do fine.
Sand?? Again it is personal preference but I would do Caribbean Argonite Live sand. 40#'s.
Setup?? Personal preference, but would do a single volcanoe aquascape with a few caves.
Finally, why do you want a fish that will eat other fish?
i will look into the Rhinopius and the Clarion i have a good connection with rare fish like the blue stripe clowns and picasso's.
i just wanted a big mean fish that i can feed damsel's to
evil but cool to watch!
do you have pictures of the volcanoe aquascape?

kjr_trig

i will look into the Rhinopius and the Clarion i have a good connection with rare fish like the blue stripe clowns and picasso's.
i just wanted a big mean fish that i can feed damsel's to
evil but cool to watch!
do you have pictures of the volcanoe aquascape?
Get yourself a 90 gallon and put an Undulate Trigger in there (thats the guy in my avatar) he would be glad to kill damsals for you....As far as the Clarion, typical price tag around $4000 I think...and should have a big tank and won't kill damsals.

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
Get yourself a 90 gallon and put an Undulate Trigger in there (thats the guy in my avatar) he would be glad to kill damsals for you....As far as the Clarion, typical price tag around $4000 I think...and should have a big tank and won't kill damsals.
thanks for the advice but the Undulate Trigger is pretty cheap not so rare i have about $500 spendin limit on a nice rare fish clarion is out of my price range

mx#28

If the tank is acrylic - check out some of the mantis shrimp. Fairly intelligent and often very mean. I watched one cut an angel fish in half once so I'm sure they'd satisfy your damsel killing desires.

kjr_trig

thanks for the advice but the Undulate Trigger is pretty cheap not so rare i have about $500 spendin limit on a nice rare fish clarion is out of my price range

Golden Heart Trigger is rare and nasty, but no good in small tank, even by itself....Usually about $400.00

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by MX#28
If the tank is acrylic - check out some of the mantis shrimp. Fairly intelligent and often very mean. I watched one cut an angel fish in half once so I'm sure they'd satisfy your damsel killing desires.
Now thats a good idea

mx#28

Frogfish are also very cool and aggressive. Some of them should be fine in a smaller tank. Dwarf Lions as well - if you want a rare one you could look for a yellow.

psusocr1

most frogfish are hard to keep though, alot of experience is needed when it comes to those little guys.
as everyone said it would be very hard to put anything "cool" or "killer" in a 38 gallon tank. IMO i would just save up as much money as you can for the next year or so and then buy a litter bigger of a tank. Evan a 75 gallon tank you wwould have alot more options with and sometimes you can pick them up for cheap in a classifed or sale. If you live near p.a maybe i can help you out.

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by psusocr1
http:///forum/post/2449736
most frogfish are hard to keep though, alot of experience is needed when it comes to those little guys.
as everyone said it would be very hard to put anything "cool" or "killer" in a 38 gallon tank. IMO i would just save up as much money as you can for the next year or so and then buy a litter bigger of a tank. Evan a 75 gallon tank you wwould have alot more options with and sometimes you can pick them up for cheap in a classifed or sale. If you live near p.a maybe i can help you out.
yeah ill save up sucks tho i was really eager to getting something already so i lost money on this tank.

W

whiskey

http:///forum/post/2449936
yeah ill save up sucks tho i was really eager to getting something already so i lost money on this tank.

Losing money is what this hobby is about.

psusocr1

its better to save up and get something you want rather than something you will never be happy with. youll spend alot more money upgrading every few months than you will saving in the long run..

mckevinfang

you guys are right ok so im not going for anything less than 75gal right? so i can get some killers!!

when i do get the new tank what should i put in?

mckevinfang

OK IM REALLY GETTING ADDICTED HERE!! SO IM TRYING TO SELL MY 38 GALLON TANK WITH ALL THE EXTRAS FOR $70.00
AND I FOUND A STEAL!!!
A 75 GALLON TANK!
HERES EVERYTHING I GOT
- LIFETECH 75 GALLON ALL GLASS FISH TANK

- LIFETECH AQUARIUM CANISTER FILTER "L/H 1200" (HOW MANY GPH IS THIS? IS IT GOOD?)

- A 150 GALLON PROTEIN SKIMMER WITHOUT A POWER HEAD ( I DONT KNOW THE BRAND IF ANYBODY KNOW PLEASE TELL ME SO I CAN GET THE CORRECT POWER HEAD)

- 250 WATT STEALTH HEATER
- 70 LBS LIVE SAND
- 3 MEDIUM SIZE LIVE ROCKS
- BLACK/BLUE BACK COVER
- ODYSSEA DIGITAL THERMOMETER
- ODYSSEA LIGHTS T-5-21W-B ACTINIC BULB WORKING WITH A T5-21W-W 12000K BULB NOT WORKING ( HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK THE EXTRA BULB WOULD COST? IS THIS GOOD LIGHTING?)

ALL FOR $100.00
HE USED THE TANK FOR SW FOWLR = A SNOWFLAKE EEL AND 2 MAROON CLOWNS WITH ANEMONES BUT HES MOVING TO FLORIDA ON SATURDAY AND NEEDS TO GET RID OF IT ASAP!!
I NEED A GOOD STAND!!

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

crashbandicoot

you got a good deal as long as the tank doesnt leak. As said above get you an undulated trigger . Perfect for that tank and will satisfy your BLOOD lust .
not rare but evil none the less .