New to the hobby, planning first tank.

pa7reefpa7

Hello. Im currently planning my first tank build. I have a 29g biocube hqi with a mini light for the built in refuge and the 5w uv sterilizer. I know i have alot of equipment to buy yet and will list my list of things to buy at the end of this post. If anyone can give me advice on the biocube( setting up of the protein skimmer, refuge, powerheads, moonlights, etc...) i would greatly appreciate it.
To Buy list:(suggestions on brand, type, or cheapest place to buy welcomed)
Heater
Powerheads( one or two )
Thermometer
live rock(40-60 lbs)
live sand(40 lbs)
Salt mix
Test kit/kits
moonlights
Any suggestions would be a huge help.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA7reefPA7 http:///t/391590/new-to-the-hobby-planning-first-tank#post_3473688
Hello. Im currently planning my first tank build. I have a 29g biocube hqi with a mini light for the built in refuge and the 5w uv sterilizer. I know i have alot of equipment to buy yet and will list my list of things to buy at the end of this post. If anyone can give me advice on the biocube( setting up of the protein skimmer, refuge, powerheads, moonlights, etc...) i would greatly appreciate it.
To Buy list:(suggestions on brand, type, or cheapest place to buy welcomed)
Heater
Powerheads( one or two )
Thermometer
live rock(40-60 lbs)
live sand(40 lbs)
Salt mix
Test kit/kits
moonlights
Any suggestions would be a huge help.
Hello, and welcome to the site!
For as many people you ask you will get as many different answers.

• A 29g cube would need only 1 power head or 2 of the nano powerheads.

• You only need enough rock to go halfway up the tank so 40-60 pounds is way too much, the fish need room to swim.

• You need 1 to 2 inches of live sand..20lbs should be plenty.

• Buy your mix by the box or bucket...bulk is always cheaper and it's good to have extra on hand at all times. I use Instant ocean, they also have an Instant ocean reef crystals if you would like to try coral.
    I like SeaChem test kits, they have a regent to be able to double check your test results to make sure they are accurate.
    A little strip of moonlights...just google until you find the one you want. I hang mine on the side of the tank.
    A Aquaticlife 115 skimmer ...but I'm not sure it will fit in the cube type of tank.
Well I hope that helps some, I'm sure others will chime in. Mostly, take your time and it sounds like you are good at doing your homework and know what you need for the most part.

pa7reefpa7

Thanks for your response. As far as the skimmer goes, are you suggesting i dont use the one provided with the biocube or is that just a skimmer you like? Whats the differences in a reef cyrstal or regular salt mix? I would like to try for a mixed tank with coral and fish.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA7reefPA7 http:///t/391590/new-to-the-hobby-planning-first-tank#post_3473692
Thanks for your response. As far as the skimmer goes, are you suggesting i dont use the one provided with the biocube or is that just a skimmer you like? Whats the differences in a reef cyrstal or regular salt mix? I would like to try for a mixed tank with coral and fish.
Hi,
I didn't know the bio cube came with a skimmer or how good it works. I do know the aquaticlife is a really good little skimmer. The bio cubes however have a top and that makes things a little tricky. Great for keeping a Fairy wrasse or firefish because they are jumpers.
Reef crystals just have more elements than regular salt to help boost coral growth. If you want a reef, you do want the higher end salt mix, there are better blends than Instant ocean...around my house that's all that is sold in stores. If you order salt online, make sure there are no shipping charges for it...it is very heavy and would cost a fortune. Most say Free Shipping.
Also keep in mind the smaller the tank the more difficult it is to keep it going. If you have not purchased your tank yet, look into a 55g or 75g as your starter tank...Then the original list you posted would work...but you would need 2 good power heads, and purchase lights. The linkable T5HO would work perfect without breaking the bank. Always get the largest tank you can afford, or fit in the house.
Oh and to the list add.
Hydrometer or refractometer to measure the SG (Specific G
ravity...salt in the water)
You really do not need a UV sterilizer. It kills the tiny good critters at night.
RO Unit or a place to get Reverse Osmoses water...never use tap or well water.

pa7reefpa7

Yes the newest cube has MH lighting and is an all in one unit with filter, skimmer,etc..
As far as the salt, thanks for the shipping tip bc i will most likely order online. The refractometer and RO unit were on my written list at home, forgot to include them. Any suggestions on an RO unit? I have been looking online and not sure what to buy.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA7reefPA7 http:///t/391590/new-to-the-hobby-planning-first-tank#post_3473706
Yes the newest cube has MH lighting and is an all in one unit with filter, skimmer,etc..
As far as the salt, thanks for the shipping tip bc i will most likely order online. The refractometer and RO unit were on my written list at home, forgot to include them. Any suggestions on an RO unit? I have been looking online and not sure what to buy.
Others will have to chime in with RO unit suggestions.
I rent mine because I have really bad well water and would spend a fortune on filters. For me $39.99 a month in the budget and we have drinking, cooking, and fish water enough for my 56g and 90g tanks. I have a TDS meter on the unit and anything over 10 TDS, turns it red and I give Culligan a call. The last TDS test read 4.

cjworkman

I can tell you one of the main problems you'll have and should probably think about solving ahead of time is heat.
MH's with a sealed lid is going to heat up that 29g quick.
I have an open 55 with MH's hovering about 7" off the water and a small 20 watt lighting my fuge in the cabinet. I'm overheating and need to buy a good sized fan for the cabinet.
you'll probably need to cut a hole somewhere in the lid and fan the water somehow.
you may not need it, but i'd have a plan in place before putting corals and stuff in and you have to cut your lights to a couple hours a day because of overheating.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/391590/new-to-the-hobby-planning-first-tank#post_3473752
Others will have to chime in with RO unit suggestions.
I rent mine because I have really bad well water and would spend a fortune on filters. For me $39.99 a month in the budget and we have drinking, cooking, and fish water enough for my 56g and 90g tanks. I have a TDS meter on the unit and anything over 10 TDS, turns it red and I give Culligan a call. The last TDS test read 4.
Wow!!!!! Way to long to wait for service.....They should be getting a call when that number reads 1.

pa7reefpa7

Regarding the heat issue: im pretty sure the cube has fans built in. When the fans fail to keep things cool( from what i readthis happens to most people) is a chiller the next step?

cjworkman

yeah unfortunately i think a chiller is the only option if built in fans aren't getting the job done.
You could try cutting a hole and adding an additional external fan and allow some heat to escape the hood.
but i would wait to see if it becomes a problem, just have a plan in place.