NEW What is the best way to add water to you tank?

thetabors

Do You make a bunch of it for top off? If so how much and what do you store it in? If I dont have a R0/DI what is the best way to get the water? I hear about distilled, My LFS gave me a chemical AmQuel+ says it removes nitrate, nitrite, Ammonia, Chlorine, and Chloramines. My take is through cycling now and I want to do a 50% water change and Im just curious what is the best way to get the water I have plenty of salt. Sorry if this sounds stupid

N

nyyank

IMHO--if you are hooked like the rest of us, you probably will save money in the long run by getting a decent RO/DI unit.
It has always been my experience that tap or(in my case) well water carries a huge amount of foreign material (nitrates,chemicals,etc) that would be better off left out of a tank.
I have a 4 stage maxcap system that can make about 90 gals a day--I store it in a covered 65gal garbage can with a heater and powerhead so it's always available. I try to keep about 20 gals on hand for topoff,water changes, etc. So far I have not had a shred og hair algae and the tank looks great.
Good luck!

O

oreo12

Get an ro unit.I have a hose on mine long enough to reach the tanks and just put it in the tank and let it top off but don't forget about it or it will overflow.

nordy

Yeah, lots of vendors have RO/DI units. Google Aquarium supplies for other vendors. A good RO/DI unit is a good investment that will really pay off in the long run. I use a small powerhead to pump water into my tank.
I use 5 gal buckets w/graduated measurements, add salt, then the RO/DI, start up a small powerhead and a small heater and 24 hours later, it's soup and ready to go into the tank. Like a lot of things in this hobby, waiting and patience can be good.