New Yellow Gorgonian

sueandherzoo

I got this really nice gorgonian for my horse tank from swf.com but am now disappointed to read that the chances of me keeping it alive very long are slim. :(
It often has tons of white "blooms" on it. Is this a sign that it's hungry (trying to grab food), or that it's happy, or that it's unhappy, or does it mean nothing at all?

mx#28

It's nonphotosynthetic and it will take frequent (as in numerous times per day) feedings of fairly large zooplankton (300-800 microns) to keep it alive long-term. It's not impossible to keep, but takes much dedication.

scottallert

they are open to feed,
if your not dedicated to feeding it and taking care of it, i would take it to the lfs and get store credit before it dies.
not trying to be offencive just for your and the animals benefit.

dingus890

Very nice Sue. Yes Gorgonian's are not easy to keep alive and happy. Also did you acclimate and transfer the coral fully submerged? Gorgonian's cannot be exposed to air. Also they require a moderate to strong flow so algae does not grow and kill the coral. But if you can keep your horses happy I am sure you can keep your Gorgonian happy.

Always research everything before buying or you may get something that requires more care than you may have wanted..lol

Here is some more info:
Yellow Gorgonian
QUICK STATS
Care Level:Moderate to Difficult
Temperament: Peaceful
Lighting: Low
Waterflow: Medium to Strong
Placement: All
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, sg 1.023-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4
Color Form: Red, Yellow
Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Iodine, Trace Elements
Origin: Caribbean
Family: Anthothelidae
The Yellow Gorgonian is common throughout the Caribbean and is yellow with red calyces. The polyps of this gorgonian are white and are usually only seen during the nighttime when the aquarium's lights are off. This gorgonian is non-photosynthetic and makes a great addition to any reef aquarium, or one containing Seahorses.
It is more challenging to maintain this species because they are non-photosynthetic and they require supplemental feeding several times per week. Because the Yellow Gorgonian is not photosynthetic, its survival is dependent on regular and frequent feedings of brine shrimp, baby brine shrimp, or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates
In order to inhibit algae and cyanobacteria growth, it is important that this gorgonian is provided with a medium to strong, constant or intermittent water flow. If in the event that it does begin to become covered with algae or cyanobacteria, remove it from the coral immediately, as this will cause rapid tissue deterioration. Algae can be removed gently with the use of a soft brush.
The Yellow Finger Gorgonian should be fed a few times a day with a filter feeding food. Provide a varied diet of live or frozen baby brine shrimp, Marine Snow, PhytoPlan and other suitable micro foods.

meowzer

I bought a beautiful yellow gorgonian from SWF, Sorry to say I have not had very good luck. One half died, and I am working very hard at keeping the other healthy (also have red) I purchased it because someone recommended it to me as being EASY, and something good to put with seahorses...If I knew then what I know now, I would not have bought it. I feed zooplankton, invert target food, marine snow...target most of the food with a syringe....I wish you much luck with yours..

sueandherzoo

Thanks guys. I'll give it my best shot to keep this thing alive and healthy but apparently that's not something I should set my hopes on too high. Yes, I acclimated it properly but it was exposed to air for about 10 seconds. I wonder how soon I'll see the ill effects of that.
Right now I have it sitting on a live rock with a smaller piece on top of it's base to hold it in place. I've read that I could/should superglue it to a rock but how would I do that without exposing it to air?
I'll try to enjoy it while I have it and give it the best care possible - I never realized it was a "coral"..... I thought it was some sort of marine plant. I have SO much to learn.

mx#28

Originally Posted by dingus890
http:///forum/post/2885751
Very nice Sue. Yes Gorgonian's are not easy to keep alive and happy. Also did you acclimate and transfer the coral fully submerged? Gorgonian's cannot be exposed to air. Also they require a moderate to strong flow so algae does not grow and kill the coral. But if you can keep your horses happy I am sure you can keep your Gorgonian happy.

Always research everything before buying or you may get something that requires more care than you may have wanted..lol

Here is some more info:
Yellow Gorgonian
QUICK STATS
Care Level:Moderate to Difficult
Temperament: Peaceful
Lighting: Low
Waterflow: Medium to Strong
Placement: All
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, sg 1.023-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4
Color Form: Red, Yellow
Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Iodine, Trace Elements
Origin: Caribbean
Family: Anthothelidae
The Yellow Gorgonian is common throughout the Caribbean and is yellow with red calyces. The polyps of this gorgonian are white and are usually only seen during the nighttime when the aquarium's lights are off. This gorgonian is non-photosynthetic and makes a great addition to any reef aquarium, or one containing Seahorses.
It is more challenging to maintain this species because they are non-photosynthetic and they require supplemental feeding several times per week. Because the Yellow Gorgonian is not photosynthetic, its survival is dependent on regular and frequent feedings of brine shrimp, baby brine shrimp, or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates
In order to inhibit algae and cyanobacteria growth, it is important that this gorgonian is provided with a medium to strong, constant or intermittent water flow. If in the event that it does begin to become covered with algae or cyanobacteria, remove it from the coral immediately, as this will cause rapid tissue deterioration. Algae can be removed gently with the use of a soft brush.
The Yellow Finger Gorgonian should be fed a few times a week with a filter feeding food. Provide a varied diet of live or frozen baby brine shrimp, Marine Snow, PhytoPlan and other suitable micro foods.
Keep in mind that this description of required care comes from an online retailer that is motivated to sell their livestock. 2 feedings per week might lengthen the gorgonians life, but will not sustain it properly.

mx#28

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo
http:///forum/post/2885850
Thanks guys. I'll give it my best shot to keep this thing alive and healthy but apparently that's not something I should set my hopes on too high. Yes, I acclimated it properly but it was exposed to air for about 10 seconds. I wonder how soon I'll see the ill effects of that.
I've never seen any ill effects from brief exposure to air with gorgonians. I have with sponges, but never with gorgs.
Right now I have it sitting on a live rock with a smaller piece on top of it's base to hold it in place. I've read that I could/should superglue it to a rock but how would I do that without exposing it to air?
You can use underwater epoxy
I'll try to enjoy it while I have it and give it the best care possible - I never realized it was a "coral"..... I thought it was some sort of marine plant. I have SO much to learn.

Research - there are some professional studies on this species (Dr Ron Shimek, etc) as well as plenty info in well known books and online sources.

I've had myn over 3 months. :) Its in a 8g biocube that gets fed very regularly though. I think I will have long term sucess (crosses fingers) good luck :)

cglover226

mine for some reason is being over run by my hermits.... they litterally climb up the branches until it falls over... anyone experience this?

rotarymagic

I wouldn't run a skimmer on a tank with gorgonians or sponges... gotta keep the amount of food in the water high.. you could always have an automatic feeder on a time dispensing reefroids, reefchili, etc into a high flow area of the tank.. I mean if people can keep anthias alive, I'm sure this is far from impossible lol...
Think outside the box.

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2886197
I wouldn't run a skimmer on a tank with gorgonians or sponges... gotta keep the amount of food in the water high.. you could always have an automatic feeder on a time dispensing reefroids, reefchili, etc into a high flow area of the tank.. I mean if people can keep anthias alive, I'm sure this is far from impossible lol...
Think outside the box.
. . . and who doesn't LOVE a challenge? I don't think any of us would have ever gotten into saltwater tanks if we didn't! Just tell me how difficult it is to keep something and you'll see me running out to buy it.
Sue

dingus890

Originally Posted by MX#28
http:///forum/post/2885932
Keep in mind that this description of required care comes from an online retailer that is motivated to sell their livestock. 2 feedings per week might lengthen the gorgonians life, but will not sustain it properly.
I agree they should be fed more. I did not notice it only said a few times a week. But hey that is better than not feeding it at all. I was just trying to give some standard info for Sue.

dingus890

http:///forum/post/2886255
. . . and who doesn't LOVE a challenge? I don't think any of us would have ever gotten into saltwater tanks if we didn't! Just tell me how difficult it is to keep something and you'll see me running out to buy it.
Sue
HAHA! That is the fun of the hobby for me.

rykna

http:///forum/post/2886255
Sue
Here Here!!!!! I laugh in the face of danger!!!!

And they're not that difficult either. Most important thing is to keep they free of algae, I give my purple gorg a scrub bath every 2-3 days. They also need daily feedings of marine snow or other similar filter feeder foods.

sueandherzoo

Now I KNOW we treat our tanks better than our family members! 2-3 regular meals per day and scrub baths!?!?!? LOL My dogs have always gotten better treatment than my husband but now he's going to have to move over to the horses, too!

What is this "marine snow" I keep hearing about? Is it a pretty common item at large LFS's or will I probably need to order it online?
Sue

meowzer

Depends on what kind of lfs you have...I just order my marine snow sine I have NO lfs...LOL.....Just had the grandkids over...the hit of the night was my seahorses and sting ray (YES 2 tanks..LOL)

rykna

http:///forum/post/2887517
Now I KNOW we treat our tanks better than our family members! 2-3 regular meals per day and scrub baths!?!?!? LOL My dogs have always gotten better treatment than my husband but now he's going to have to move over to the horses, too!

What is this "marine snow" I keep hearing about? Is it a pretty common item at large LFS's or will I probably need to order it online?
Sue

Well....my daughter potty trained herself at 2, I potty trained my iguana....maybe we could train our...fish..to....no.

mx#28

Originally Posted by Rykna
http:///forum/post/2887197
Here Here!!!!! I laugh in the face of danger!!!!

And they're not that difficult either. Most important thing is to keep they free of algae, I give my purple gorg a scrub bath every 2-3 days. They also need daily feedings of marine snow or other similar filter feeder foods.
What species is your gorgonian and how long have you had it? Any growth?

rykna

Originally Posted by MX#28 http:///forum/post/2888165
What species is your gorgonian and how long have you had it? Any growth?
I've kept 2 kinds of Gorgs~
Corky Finger
I fragged this gorg multiple times. Here's the thread that I posted about the "operation"
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/257464/first-fragging-operation
Purple Gorg, which I do not yet have a pic of, but my friend Beth and I purchased the purple gorg and divided it~ half for her, half for me. We did that as soon as we got it home from the LFS. Then I trimmed two small branches of my half and started 2 new little frags. That was about 3 weeks ago. All of the purple gorgs are doing great.
They're pretty neat little critters, but do need extra attention.