newbe needs help

swlover

do you have a way of measuring the salt in the tank...It will look like a thermometer but with green strip that tells you what your specific gravity is in the tank.

renogaw

1st, i wouldn't get a 110 gallon until you can sucessfully keep the 30 gallon. as of right now, you can't and you're going to waste a lot of money and kill a lot of fish.
2nd. what equipment do you have? you should have a hydrometer (prefered) or swing arm salinity tester, test kits for ammonia, phosphates, ph, nitrates, nitrites, alkalinity, and calcium, digital thermometer, two to three 5 gallon buckets, fish net, plus other stuff like heaters, powerheads, lighting, filtration. you should also have SEA SALT (not table salt) and decholorinating products (really should have a reverse osmosis system)
You should also get a 10-20 gallon and set it up as a quarentine tank, or use your 30 gallon once you get the 110 up and running.
3rd what fish store are you dealing with, if it is ***** STOP listening to them.
how to set up your tank: dechlorinate your water or buy ro water, put your water in a large tub with a power head and a heater. slowly mix in your salt to a specific gravity of 1.026. fill your tank half way. put your rock and sand in, then fill the rest of the way. run your tank for at least 2-3 weeks watching your levels. once you are down to zero on ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites you can add your cleaning crew. wait a week and add ONE fish (or a pair of clowns). make sure you are doing 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly water changes using the premixed water you have in your large tub of water. you should use fresh, dechlorinated water to top off your tank from evaporation.

swlover

Sorry about that my falt......it may not be salt problems..it maybe something completely different. It's hard to say when there is no pics, what the white things are and even if they have anything to do with your fish dieing. My guess is it was just too early for fish..just let it cycle, get a hydrometer the glass kind that floats in your tank..this will tell what your specific gravity is in the water...it should be within the green strip margin at top.

swlover

I would give the fish back and start all over..make sure you do things as posted by renogaw. All of those things he mentioned are nessary for SW..no exceptions. It will make it alot easier when you do it right and take your time, then to go out and buy these things in a panic.

alyssia

Originally Posted by renogaw
1st, i wouldn't get a 110 gallon until you can sucessfully keep the 30 gallon. as of right now, you can't and you're going to waste a lot of money and kill a lot of fish.
2nd. what equipment do you have? you should have a hydrometer (prefered) or swing arm salinity tester, test kits for ammonia, phosphates, ph, nitrates, nitrites, alkalinity, and calcium, digital thermometer, two to three 5 gallon buckets, fish net, plus other stuff like heaters, powerheads, lighting, filtration. you should also have SEA SALT (not table salt) and decholorinating products (really should have a reverse osmosis system)
You should also get a 10-20 gallon and set it up as a quarentine tank, or use your 30 gallon once you get the 110 up and running.
3rd what fish store are you dealing with, if it is ***** STOP listening to them.
how to set up your tank: dechlorinate your water or buy ro water, put your water in a large tub with a power head and a heater. slowly mix in your salt to a specific gravity of 1.026. fill your tank half way. put your rock and sand in, then fill the rest of the way. run your tank for at least 2-3 weeks watching your levels. once you are down to zero on ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites you can add your cleaning crew. wait a week and add ONE fish (or a pair of clowns). make sure you are doing 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly water changes using the premixed water you have in your large tub of water. you should use fresh, dechlorinated water to top off your tank from evaporation.

A refractometer is actually preferred over a hydrometer.

d-monic

Originally Posted by swlover
Well they probably wont take the pajama back..but you can try. Yes take all that cc out and get live sand, leave your rock in, do a large water change and make sure you airate your water/salt mix in a new bucket for 24 hours before adding it to your tank, let it cycle for atleast a month, test for nitrates, ammonia, nitrites etc. before adding any fish.

Hey there! I have a similar problem, maybe you could give me a bit of advice, i just started cycling my 45G tank,i also have some white floating dots *look like dust particles kind of* they pour out alot from my filter (penguin) but they dont appear to all be bubbles. Right now all i have in the tank is a bit of LS and 50 pounds of LR,no fish of any kind, I did mix the salt in the tank at first,and then added a bit more later freshly mixed..if i aerate from now on,can i continue or do i have to start over :( i hope not...any info is appreciated if you see this!

renogaw

Originally Posted by alyssia
A refractometer is actually preferred over a hydrometer.

bah got my terms wrong again :( i was like, god, what is the swing arm's name LOL

renogaw

Originally Posted by D-Monic
Hey there! I have a similar problem, maybe you could give me a bit of advice, i just started cycling my 45G tank,i also have some white floating dots *look like dust particles kind of* they pour out alot from my filter (penguin) but they dont appear to all be bubbles. Right now all i have in the tank is a bit of LS and 50 pounds of LR,no fish of any kind, I did mix the salt in the tank at first,and then added a bit more later freshly mixed..if i aerate from now on,can i continue or do i have to start over :( i hope not...any info is appreciated if you see this!
pic's are worth a thousand words. i don't know why either of you have the "dust" particles. i had dust from my live sand but it disappeared once it settled.
are you guys using protein skimmers?

renogaw

Originally Posted by swlover
I would give the fish back and start all over..make sure you do things as posted by renogaw. All of those things he mentioned are nessary for SW..no exceptions. It will make it alot easier when you do it right and take your time, then to go out and buy these things in a panic.

ty swlover, this website has been a godsend and although i still don't know everything (surprising, i know :p) it does feel good that i can help some people by the stuff i've read here and my own experiences over the past 6-7 months.

d-monic

pic's are worth a thousand words. i don't know why either of you have the "dust" particles. i had dust from my live sand but it disappeared once it settled.
are you guys using protein skimmers?
Ill try and get some pics tonight,my cam is pretty bad so i dunno if it will be accurate, im thinking its either salt, or sand particles, but it still worries me a bit. I do have a skimmer (bak pak 2) but since im only about a week and a half through my cycle ive been told not to run it yet..eh..sorry for bein a dummy! Im trying to educate myself before harming any animals from my lack of experience lol thus why i havent cycled with damsels..thank goodness for this site!

renogaw

Originally Posted by D-Monic
Ill try and get some pics tonight,my cam is pretty bad so i dunno if it will be accurate, im thinking its either salt, or sand particles, but it still worries me a bit. I do have a skimmer (bak pak 2) but since im only about a week and a half through my cycle ive been told not to run it yet..eh..sorry for bein a dummy! Im trying to educate myself before harming any animals from my lack of experience lol thus why i havent cycled with damsels..thank goodness for this site!

you're doing things carefully, and that is never dumb. personally would rather be careful than kill a $40 fish :)

swlover

Since both these systems are newish it just might be sand particals..some sand has silt in it and will keep floating around until it finally settles or you do a water change. Check your filter, is there alot of fine sedimate in it? And Nice Nurse so sorry about the mix up with the salt...working doubles and I actually though 5 lbs per gallon,
my mind was thinking one thing and typing another...I always use 1/2 cup measurements to gallons that way it will be consistant.

swlover

ty swlover, this website has been a godsend and although i still don't know everything (surprising, i know :p) it does feel good that i can help some people by the stuff i've read here and my own experiences over the past 6-7 months.
Thats the way I think also...I like sharing my experiences and if I can help just one person it is well worth it. I know when I came here I was on another site and was at the end of my rope..they had me so confused about things and they made fun of me and a whole bunch of new ppl...they were pompus a**es! I enjoy this site and the ppl on it.