Newbie - Dead fish - PLEASE HELP

ophiura

Originally Posted by J-Bird
I have just received the live rock 2-day express from this website, they say it is already cured.
It doesn't matter if it comes from this site or any other site...LR that is shipped will have die off and should be recured.
I would NOT add it directly to your tank unless you remove the fish.
As soon as LR is out of water for even an hour (or less!) things start dying. It may be "precured" in that big hunks of sponge and such are removed after collection from the field, but there is nothing that can be done about die off during shipping.
And honestly, really, all I can emphasize is patience here. It doesn't really matter how good your parameters are - it is a very young tank. And you may have issues with things like the starfish (what kind?) Which generally require mature tanks and pristine water quality. There may still be problems ahead I am afraid.

merredeth

I think everybody here has given some good advice to you. I would have posted sooner, but I was sick this weekend and just caught up with everyone's advice.
Hope it all helps you out.
Denise M.

jojo_b

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a submersible heater, one without the rubber suction cup things. Can I put that in a rubbermaid container to cure LR with? Or would it melt the container bottom?

merredeth

Originally Posted by Jojo_B
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a submersible heater, one without the rubber suction cup things. Can I put that in a rubbermaid container to cure LR with? Or would it melt the container bottom?
Personally, I wouldn't. How about hanging it from some string or wrapping the cord and take a wooden spoon or something that can go across the top and stick it in?
Just an idea.
Denise M.

kaotik

Since you are feedig twice a day, which is pretty frequent, you might be overfeeding and getting ammonia spikes everytime you feed which could kill your fish. I cant speak for everyone, but I personally feed every other day. It is better to underfeed than overfeed.