Newbie help. please.

jay0705

People will say unless the fish get blown around the current is fine. I have have high and low flow areas. At nt my fish hold in the low flow

lmforbis

Until recently I never used a wave maker. I started keeping salt water about 18 years ago. There was nothing like that out there, at least not in my price range. My fish and corals did fine. Currently In my 2 foot tank I use one of the power heads like you have. In my 3 foot tank I use 2 of them on opposite ends. Both of those are bare bottomed so there isn't a blowing sand issue and the fish seem to like the high flow. In my 6 foot tank I had 4 but recently switched two out for wave makers and a controller. I do get sand moving around in my 6 foot with all the flow.

jay0705

Ideally u direct the flow away from the sand. But often its hard to avoid. I use a big powerhead high in the tank back to front and a smaller from end to end. During the day my tangs will ride the current regularly.

jmbdrummer

I picked up two timers and alternated the times so only one head is on at a time.

Also if I use dry sand what sand do I get?? I am thinking about switching it out this weekend.

lmforbis

You want aragonite sand. There are lots of brands. Places like ***** and petsmart have it at a reasonable price. What you don't want is sand made of silica.

pegasus

If you want dry... use marine sand. Play sand can be chock full of silicate, which isn't something you want in your tank. CaribSea is one brand that comes to mind...