Newbie questions again.

jmbdrummer

Hello everyone. Everyone here is always so helpful and I really appreciate it. I have tried to look through the forums for answers but find myself more confused.

I have had a 30 gallon saltwater up for almost 2 years. It is a 24 x 12 x 24 xtall. It was a free tank and has worked okay. I have had a few ups and downs. I currently have a hang on the back filter, 2 power heads, and an led Current USA Orbit 24 inch light. I do have liverock and fish (2 clowns and a fox face) and a some xenia corals. Just wanted to give you my curgent step up.

I recently bought a used 75 gallon drilled tank with a built-in overflow. ( I am unsure of the tank brand and overflow brand.) Unfortunately this is new for me. And I don't want water everywhere.

I have a 25 gallon tank I would like to set up for a sump/ refugium.

Would this work?
How should I design the sump/fug?

I was planning to make three chambers flow in through a filter sock the three baffles, then the refugium, then maybe one or to more baffles then return.

What pump should i go with? I hear 10x the volume some people say 5 to 7x is enough. I am going to be using my power heads in the tank and might add more.

My goal is to have a nice reef tank with my current fish and possibly a dragonet and a few other fish. I added pods to my current tank about 6 months ago. But I am going to add more to the new tank.

lmforbis

As far as pump. You don't want to exceed the rate the tank drains. The return pump determine how fast the tank drains but there is a max rate the plumbing will drain that is independent of the pump and if you go over that you can get a flood.
In my 125 my pump has the capacity to do 1200 GPH but I end up with the equivalent of rapids in the sump so mine flows much slower.
Depending on the dimensions of your 25 gallon it might work as a sumo/fuge. Longer is better in my opinion as you can get a skimmer in it and it is easier to work in. If it is too tall access is limited. If yours won't work I think ***** is having their dollar a gallon sale so you could get a 20 long for $20 and use the 25 as a Quarantine. A sump should be maybe half to 2/3 full so make your baffles accordingly. If you are going to put a skimmer in it you need to make sure the compartment is big enough for the skimmer and the first baffles are high enough for optimal skimmer performance.

jmbdrummer

As far as pump. You don't want to exceed the rate the tank drains. The return pump determine how fast the tank drains but there is a max rate the plumbing will drain that is independent of the pump and if you go over that you can get a flood.
In my 125 my pump has the capacity to do 1200 GPH but I end up with the equivalent of rapids in the sump so mine flows much slower.
Depending on the dimensions of your 25 gallon it might work as a sumo/fuge. Longer is better in my opinion as you can get a skimmer in it and it is easier to work in. If it is too tall access is limited. If yours won't work I think ***** is having their dollar a gallon sale so you could get a 20 long for $20 and use the 25 as a Quarantine. A sump should be maybe half to 2/3 full so make your baffles accordingly. If you are going to put a skimmer in it you need to make sure the compartment is big enough for the skimmer and the first baffles are high enough for optimal skimmer performance.
Thank you. From what I read people were saying that with a bigger pump you could put a ball or gate valve in. Seems to me that would put strain on the pump. I might have to look into the 20 gallon long. How would I determine the flow rate of the overflow?

lmforbis

I use a ball valve. I'd never do it again. Next time I'll use gate valves. It is fine to use a valve to control a pump. Like I said go with a gate valve. They cost more but provide better control. Ball valves are great if on or off is the choice. I use these on all pipes coming from and going to the tank so I can isolate the sump if necessary but they are otherwise open. When you pick out a pump you need to look at the flow rate at the head height you will be pumping to. The pump is fighting gravity so the same pump will have greater flow at 1' than at 4'.
I still don't like to exceed the max flow my overflows can handle. You never know when someone might mess with the valve and next thing water is everywhere.

lmforbis

The two holes on the side are siphon breaks. Not sure where the third is. If the pipe is 1" diameter on the inside it probably has a flow rate of around 700 gph.

jmbdrummer

Thank you for all your help. There are two on each side and one in the back. So the siphon breaks won't cause an issue? Sorry if the are dumb questions.

lmforbis

No they prevent problems. They will only allow the tank to drain to the holes if the power goes out. On that same note when you build the sump you need to make sure there is enough empty space for the tank to drain into if the power goes out. The siphon breaks limit the amount that can drain back into the sump.

jmbdrummer

No they prevent problems. They will only allow the tank to drain to the holes if the power goes out. On that same note when you build the sump you need to make sure there is enough empty space for the tank to drain into if the power goes out. The siphon breaks limit the amount that can drain back into the sump.
Good deal. I was wondering that but just wanted confirmation. Also just wanted to make sure I have the pieces that I need for the overflow. Thanks again for all your help. I hope to get the tank cleaned this weekend and then hopefully get the sump set up and order the pump.