Newbie With Rock Question

erifish3

Purchased my first saltwater tank about a month ago and love it. Only questions I have so far is there is some blueish, whitish cotton looking spots growing on the rocks, any ideas? The other, there are these redish and white centipede looking worms living on same rocks, any ideas on those? Thanks

lil.guppy

The bluish cotton stuff that grew on my rock was from dying plant matter. Was the rock pre-cured? Did you brush it?

dobber1111

Pictures would help out in the ID. I have some white cotton ball looking things and I was told they were sponges. Filter feeders and are harmless, but can indicate excess nutrients.

the red worms are most likly bristle worms,watch out if you try touching them or grabbing a rock,they do hurt alot when you touch the bristles,trus me
personal exp

salt life

Originally Posted by erifish3
http:///forum/post/2940028
i don't know if the rocks are cured or not, I purchased the tank already established.
then they are cured, if you left the rocks out of the tank for a couple days, then you would have alot of die-off and would have to re-cure them, but if you just took them out and put them in a bucket of tank water for a short time then your fine.

erifish3

During the move, they were placed in in buckets of water with a wet towel over them. As far as the worms go, how can i get rid of them? I'm about to upgrade to a 100g tank and i don't really want them in there unless there's an upside to them. Thanks

spanko

The bristle worms are a good part of your system. They will eat uneaten food, fish poop, dead animals etc.